Can The Democrats Make 2006 Their 1994?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Dec 1, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hear hear... particularly the part about finding and grooming effective candidates. Particularly Southern moderates that have a silver tongue.

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I feel much will hinge on what happens between now and then with the GOP Congress and Administration, or more accurately, how things are perceived.

The GOP seems to be mired in an identity-crisis of it's own, and if the Democrats are smart they will point to the in-fighting and resultant inability for the GOP to get things done despite holding all the cards.

While "moral" issues are important to many voters, I feel that if the larger issues of Intelligence Reform, Fiscal Responsibility and Job Creation (to name a few) are not addressed effectively and/or put behind less important "moral" issues, I feel the public should rightly be annoyed and vote accordingly.

The interesting thing about the current fracturing of the GOP, is that it has become more and more difficult to obscure the motives and reasoning of the various GOP ideologues. The recent opinions about the GOP not wanting to pass the Intelligence Reform Bill w/o the "right" support, exposes perhaps a trend of governance which holds the wrong priorities. I think, properly marketed, this could be a powerful weapon for the Democrats.

4. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Good points. The Kinsley piece I posted a few days ago ("To Hell with Values") makes the argument that we'd be better off with a competent government than one that claims to have cornered the market on "values." I think the proof of the ideological pudding can be found here, where the Republicans, controlling all of levers of government, can't seem to find it in themselves to do the obviously right thing for the country.