Can the dvd drive on macbooks burn dual layer dvds?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Khurram, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Khurram macrumors 6502

I know this is probably a stupid question, but i've never burnt double layer dvd's before and I was wondering do you need a special dvd burning drive to burn dual layer dvd's or will any dvd burner drive be able to burn the dual layers, assuming Im using dual layer blank dvd's.

Aside from the macbook drive, can all dvd burning drives burn dual layers?
    thanks

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

no, you need dual layer dvd burner to burn dual layer disks, and macbook does not have it. the only current mac laptop that has it is macbook pro 17"

3. bossass macrumors regular

4. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

IMO, no;)

I've only managed to find 2 or 3 shops that actually sell them, and besides, they are way more expensive than a normal DVD.

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I have YET to see a purpose for Dual Layer DVDs....i mean yeah maybe copying Dual Layer DVD movies exactly, and not thru handbrake or something.

but the extra cost, is not justified except in the most extraneous circumstances.

I was forced to split my portfolio DVD into 2 discs because I had no more room left for my video work to be included with all my analog sculptures and digital stuff. so when you clicked video, it asked you to insert disc 2.

this was before DL burners were even available.

if they were, I would have used it then.

but thats the only case I can think of

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

this is true. it's very seldom that you need a DL dvd

7. Khurram thread starter macrumors 6502

creating backups of my xbox 360 games require dual layer dvd's

8. tyroja00 macrumors member

I don't know what kind of notebook you have.

I have a PB 12 inch and I purchased a DL Drive Panasonic UJ-845 for real, real cheap on E-Bay, since I didn't have a DVD player. MacOSX recognizes it and it works awesome.

You may want to see if it will fit in your case. I don't know how technical you are but disassembly of a Mac is not for the light-hearted :eek: Also, it will probably kill your warranty (I had no warranty and too much time on my hands). But, you could always put the old one back in if something went wrong.

By the way prices on dl dvds are dropping and with blueray it will continue to. I honestly don't know the deal with apple not making this standard like most other manufacturers. Yeah the form factor is thin but so are several other laptops out there. Sorry I just had to vent my Merom MB frustration.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I use Dual Layer Discs to backup my iTunes TV Shows that I've watched completely (and probably won't watch again). If you have something like The Daily Show or the Colbert Report (or both) you'll fill up a Dual Layer Disc in no time... yeah they're more expensive but it takes up less physical space... it's a trade off.

10. deebster macrumors 6502

The MBs and MBPs that only have single layer DVD burners are using newer drives that are a little slimmer than the old ones (I think it is 9.5mm height, compared to 12.5mm), and as far as I know DL support is not yet possible on the slimmer drives.

If memory serves me correctly the 17" uses the old style drives, since the extra width of the Mac allows the drive to sit away from the area where the recessed keyboard lies. I'm pretty sure I read this on MacRumors, but I haven't tried searching for it.

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The drive sits away from the trackpad is the problem

12. tyroja00 macrumors member

Yeah I remember that being the reason. But, if other companies can make a 1" dual layer dvd notebook, so should Apple.

For your info, IBM's UJ-842 drive is a 9.5mm DL DVD burner. You can actually get one at Ebay. Now, I don't know if it is possible to use with OSX.

But that should have never been an issue to begin with. I think that it was a design issue that Apple did not see fit to remedy for some reason. But, a pro model should have never been released w/o it.