can the eagles go unbeaten?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Oct 31, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

in the nfl, the eagles at 7-0 are now the only undefeated team

i thought the patriots, who lost today, would be the one team which could sweep an entire season...in the superbowl era, only the miami dolphins under shula did it...more than 30 years ago ending in a superbowl win

the niners have gone 15-1 much later as did the vikings, but nobody has gone perfect from start to finish since the dolphins of old

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

nope. they aren't that much better than their competition, the NFL has lots of parity these days .... they'll lose ... maybe the steelers and big ben will show them whats up too , if they do the steelers will be the best team in the NFL ... and Roethlisberger will be at a marino type level ... despite the fact that these comparisions will be easily made after his performance today.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No. They've shown that they can be run on - remember that the Ravens didn't have Jamal Lewis today. A stout D and a team more balanced on offense than the Ravens and the Eagles will be plucked.

Besides, after watching T.O. with the Niners over the past few years, I can't believe that he won't rediscover his 'dropping' ways - and as soon as that happens, he'll start complaining. Bye bye team chemistry - bye bye unbeaten season...

4. msbsound macrumors regular

Nope

I agree. There is so much talent in the league, and they are sure to have a down week, or catch another team at the wrong time. Remember the Bengals/Chiefs last year? So I think Miami will be the last team we see do it, but I would love for someone to prove me wrong....God, I hate the Dolphins...

5. raiderz182 macrumors regular

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Well, at least you can relish the season they're having this year.

As for the Eagle, not a chance. They're good, but not that good. Still have holes in the D that others have pointed out, and it's just too difficult in today's world to go undefeated.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Just like the Patriots have lost a 21 game winning streak. So will the Eagles eventually meet a team that can beat them.

8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

with mcnabb and owens and others, the eagles look poised to easily make it into the playoffs...but can they do it unbeaten?? i think they may lose two or three games and perhaps make it to the superbowl

so when is the last time the eagles won the whole enchilada? ;)

at times, the eagles seemed to have been somewhat cursed so it would be nice to see them get a ring...it was great to see another unlikely team in another pro sport in an unlikely post season get their ring not too long ago...i am sure the red sox are still on a high

i think with injury and talent evenly spread out in the league, it's very unlikely the eagles or anybody else will have a perfect season

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Gotta agree with the masses, the Eagles are not going to be the team to tie the 1972 Dolphins' record. The way the Patriots were playing, they had the best shot, but not even they could do it after getting taken to school by the Steelers today. The Eagles are a strong team, but not that strong - defeat is inevitable. :cool:

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

of course they "can," any team "can" go undefeated, the question is WILL they go unbeaten, to which i reply it is very unlikely, but who knows

11. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

as a life long steeler fan, i'm obliged to say no, but can't say why. i haven't been able to watch much football this year, and haven't seen the eagles play a single down. but from what i hear, they've got their junk together.

it's gonna be a good game next week. one of my roomates is also from pittsburgh, two others are from philly. a party next sunday? maybe. a fight? hell yes. ;)

12. macidiot macrumors 6502a

I say they probably could if they get past the Steelers next week. Look at their schedule, only Pittsburgh and the Giants look like challenges. And I'm not that worried about the Giants. And the defense isn't as bad as people make out. Yes, you can run against the Eagles. BFD. The Eagles are only giving up 14.9 points a game, second best in the league.

Of course there are lots of other factors. Like injuries. Or if they wrap up things with 2-3 weeks to go. If that happens, Reid will probably rest everyone for the playoffs.

I think what will happen is that the Eagles will lock up the division/home field in week 14-15 and Reid will play like its the pre-season the rest of the way, resting all his starters. If that happens I can see a loss to the Rams, since they will probably still be fighting for the playoffs. And maybe even the Bungles, again since Reid will probably bench all of his starters.

Unlike most teams, the only thing that matters for the Eagles is the Superbowl. Anything less is a failure.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No

I seriously doubt it, even if they don't lose to the Steelers or Giants. It is so hard to get up for every game over such a long season. They are bound to stumble somewhere. The season is even longer than when the Dolphins accomplished this feat. An injury here or there, a flat game after a big win, weather, a missed kick, something will happen. Its inevitable.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Agreed - just look at KC last year.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Of course they can go unbeaten.

Until the NFC Championship game, anyway. Then they'll likely choke again. They Eagles are to the NFC Championship game what the Buffalo Bills are to the Superbowl.

Don't you know the curse of Wm. Penn is what's keeping all Philly teams from winning a championship?

16. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

This is a retard question. Just look at who they are playing next week and you'll receive a quick answer. Of course, you could watch the game next week and see the Eagles just get picked apart and trounced on like the Pats did yesterday.

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Guess this got answered rather emphatically today!
    Haven't read a lot about it yet, but all I saw on Sports Center was TO jawing at McNabb. Looks like TO is becoming the cancer he always is... interesting to see if this is a one time thing or the beginning of a meltdown. They can't stop the run... at all.

18. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Well TO was not jawing at McNabb in a bad way. They both have said so in seperate press confrences today, both said it was just encouragement nothing negative. TO is not the cancer everyone makes him out to be. I live in the Philly area. His teammates and the coaches have had nothing but good things to say about it. Many regard him as one of the best team oriented guys they've ever played with. The national media has a hard-on for taking everything TO says or does and displays it in a negative light.

There is a reason ONLY one team has had a perfect season in NFL history.

19. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

not to hijack the thread or anything, but the steelers looked superb today. there weren't that many people brought in over the offseason- you're looking at pretty much the same personel, but the improvements in the secondary and on the offensive line in particular are stunning. they're playing great ball right now.

only thing is, historically speaking, bill cowher teams have not fared that well once they establish themselves as favorites. they will have a let down this season; i just hope it happens sooner rather than later.

20. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

They brought in Duce Staley, and Big Ben .... i would call those big additions. Staley is having a great year even thought he didn't contribute to todays win. The bus is looking so versatile, I mean up until today he had 129 yards rushing on the season , he ran for 149 today alone. I think the bottom line is that the team is clicking, they shouldn't get ahead of themselves but I think they will continue to play strong and contend this season. I would also say tyhe greatest sign from today was that they can adapt, adapting is key to contending.

I also want to point out the GIANT FAILURE in new york, go bears.

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    They don't have to try very hard though - he makes it so easy by opening his mouth and saying stupid things. He is a good player (until someone hits him across the middle and he develops alligator arms for the rest of the game) and no-one ever questioned his work ethic or relationship with players (except Garcia) while in San Francisco (and even then it was obvious he was trying to force SF to get rid of him).

There's a very good article by Skip Bayless (who was a 49ers beat guy while T.O. was just becoming known) on ESPN. He defended him for his antics on the Dallas star but since then has come down on the other side.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/041105

Me, I just wish he'd have one of those self-imposed media blackouts that he had in SF a year or so back. Everything was so much more peaceful.

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Gotta be impressed with the way the Steelers handled New England and Philadelphia on back to back weeks. No let down, just more momentum. Those two are still great teams and favorites to show up at the end, but kudos to the Steelers.

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

The Bears still have a long way to go if they want to compete with the Vikings at the top of their division. Moss or not, the Vikes are looking pretty solid as well, Culpepper is having a great year. They have a tough challenge tonight though on MNF, guess we'll see how they fare...

24. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

After the loss to the Bears, how long before Warner gets the hook and we have the advent of the Eli era??