Can the iMac be used as a regular monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Gary King, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

Can the iMac be used as a regular monitor? Or will an iMac always only work with Mac OS X / Linux running on the monitor? :eek:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The latter (although you have a strange way of putting it), unless you pop up the hood and do some major hardware tweaking....

3. supergod macrumors 6502

Every two months it seems someone wants to take the iMac and use it as a monitor. I don't understand why. The thing is really not the greatest looker, weighs a lot and is bulky. It's also expensive as hell. Check the forums and you'll see maybe ten posts with the same question and the same answer: definitely not.

BTW, you are seem to be very confused... Macs do not run Linux and the iMac is not a display, it is a computer. If you want a stylish (overpriced) display than you can purchase the apple cinema display and run Windows XP on it all the live-long day.

4. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I know what an iMac is. I'm just saying it in a way that makes it sound bad and horrific :p

Anyways, too bad it can't be used as a regular monitor, then.

I was going to use it as a regular monitor, but since I can't; I purchased a Mini instead that came with a monitor (hurrah!)

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What I meant when I said that you had a strange way of asking is that the OS has nothing to do with it. This is true for pretty much any all-in-one or notebook from any manufacturer. The iMac G5 display will work for any OS that is compatible with the HW. If you buy a thinkpad or a PC all-in-one, you also will not, in pretty much every case of which I am aware, be able to drive the screen as a monitor for another device. Unless of course, you open it up and somehow solder a DVI plug in....

6. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Most don't, but Macs can run Linux.

Even Linus Torvalds runs Linux on a Mac.