Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
This isn't actually a question about the mini, but the MacBook (iBook replacement, not Pro). As it looks like we'll probably be stuck with integrated graphics (at least, that's the worst case scenario), and the mac mini is a comparable system...

I've been stuck on a 12'' iBook (800mhz G4) for the past two and a half years, and my eyes are starting to complain. Being a student, I can't really afford anything better than a MacBook, but I need a bigger screen so I'm getting a Dell 2005FPW to go with it.

On the topic of integrated graphics, does anyone know if it'll run a playable Half Life 2? I'm a _very_ casual gamer, but even a casual gamer needs a playable framerate. I came across some benchmarks somewhere for the mini (again, as it's a comparable system to the MacBook) and have been trying to find them again but with no luck. Do you think it could run Aero (as in Windows Vista)?

Incidently (getting all my questions in the one thread), why is the MacBook Pro more expensive than the iMac?! Take a look at top iMac model, and the maxed out MacBook Pro. Same processor, same graphics card, both have iSight, frontrow, 'super'drive, etc. Except the iMac has a /bigger/ harddrive and /larger/ screen. So why is the MacBook Pro more expensive? They're both well engineered, so I can't see that being it... It's just something that I've been wondering about anyway.

Finally, (thanks for reading this far), I can't upgrade often (on account of the whole student thing), so should I wait for 64-bit processors? Do any of you anticipate some major new technology that will require them, or should I be okay? It's not as if the Merom processors would go into the MacBooks anyway, but still...

Many thanks for any help,
Matt.

(P.S. I tried searching for this answer already, but I couldn't find the right keywords -- 'monitor' seems to appear in every second thread)

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
1. Yes for the Dell monitor, no problem.
2. Half Life 2 should be just fine, even with integrated graphics.
3. Aero will work, but as the final requirements haven't been set yet, Aero Glass might be out of the question. You won't be stuck with the Windows XP-like mode, though.
4. The MacBook Pro is a 1" thin notebook computer. All the different constraints add up to a higher price (more expensive display panel, hard drive, keyboard, the addition of a battery, tighter thermal requirements and smaller cooling system, and so on). All things being equal, the MBP is not actually the same hardware as the iMac, so the prices don't match up, either. Any given computer in notebook form is going to be more expensive than a desktop at the same performance level. That's true of all companies.
5. Don't bother waiting for the 64-bit processors for the sake of 64-bits. If there are other reasons to wait for them, maybe. But keep in mind that the MacBook will probably remain 32-bit for some time yet.

I think that covers your questions. Good luck waiting for the new machines!

Matt*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Thanks for the quick replies!

Could I have some clarification on the display issue though? I just have this impression that the consumer laptops only allowed display mirroring (so that display spanning could be reserved as a special feature for the pro. laptops), which would mean that the external display would be forced into the laptops resolution? I know that's the case with my iBook at the moment. (I just realised that asking about the mini may have been wrong, as the mini is designed to run with any monitor you have, and isn't restricted by a screen of its own.)

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Matt* said:
Thanks for the quick replies!

Could I have some clarification on the display issue though? I just have this impression that the consumer laptops only allowed display mirroring (so that display spanning could be reserved as a special feature for the pro. laptops), which would mean that the external display would be forced into the laptops resolution? I know that's the case with my iBook at the moment. (I just realised that asking about the mini may have been wrong, as the mini is designed to run with any monitor you have, and isn't restricted by a screen of its own.)
Given that the iMac used to have the same mirroring restrictions as the iBook (but no longer does), it stands to reason that the MacBook will allow any mode. Of course no one knows for sure, but even if they do limit it, someone will write a hack just like for the iBook, so there's little to worry about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.