Can the iPhone get as thin as the new iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Dec 15, 2012.

1. macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I was at a PC store today and they had iPod Touch 5 on display. I left that store amazed at how thin that thing is, incredibly thin and light.

Now I can't help but wonder, is it possible for the iPhone to get as thin as that?

The iPhone has more chips in it, GPS, Cell, etc... so I wonder if it is actually possible. It'd be incredible if the next gen(tick) iPhone gets that thin.

2. macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'm sure it will be one day. Things just keep getting engineered smaller and lighter, and I'm sure that another body size increase (for a larger screen) would give Apple more room to fit the components and therefore trim down the thickness even more.

3. macrumors 601

Have u been paying attention to the BENGATE threads? ;)

4. macrumors 68020

That's irrelevant. The question is whether they can get thinner, yes or no.

Oh, and aluminium is a soft metal. I still prefer that it bends, instead of breaks (like glass on the iPhone 4/4S). They could use stronger, heavier metals but that would increase both price and weight. They could also use an alloy, which would probably mean a slight increase in price and weight.

Either way, the number of phones that are bend are way too small to worry about.

5. macrumors 65816

Beeplance

My answer will be a yes.:)

6. macrumors 601

Well that's easy. Of course yes, it is only semiconductors. Semiconductors keep shrinking. The question is, once it becomes so thin you are holding a sharp object, would that be "too thin?" I know, I obsess about irrelevancy. ;)

I would never buy one of those chocolate-size nano iPods, am afraid I am going to lose it. Now if they get a full iPhone into a standard-sized watch with a 100x improved Siri, that would be something.

The I5 is already getting too light for me (crazy huh?) 4's heft make it feels like a piece of substantial jewelry.

7. macrumors member

Not crazy at all , i feel the same way , thats one of a couple of reasons i sold my 5 and went back to 4s , the main reason being headphone jack on the bottom , God!! how i hate that ,and a couple other reasons , the only thing i liked was the speed and bigger display ,but ill wait for iphone 6 when i am sure they will increase the display in width not only height, like a normal feeling phone for my taste.

I would never understand the obssesion with thinness , thin ! thin! lets make it paper thin! and with the same weight as a sheet of paper also , because all that weight felt so heavy for my puny munchin arms ,that would be awsome ! right? noooooottt ! like Borat jokes.

In my opinion iphone 4s had the perfect weight to feel like a well made sturdy , like jewelry like you said feel to it, iphone 5 not so much ,felt like a toy phone to me regarding weight and thinnes , but hey im crazy like that.