Can the iPhone replace a laptop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by princealfie, Mar 15, 2007.

?

Will the iPhone displace your laptop for most daily tasks?

1. Yeah, iPhone is my lightweight laptop!

17 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Nope, u crazy?

85 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

So who thinks that for everyday use that an iPhone can replace a laptop for most tasks?

For me, it would hard to edit photos on the iPhone for one.

but I would love to have word processing on my iPhone someday.

2. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

what do you do with your computer?? use skype only? than yea i guess it could, otherwise to put it in the words of the posters before me....no

3. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Not unless you use your computer for next to nothing, in which case..it's probably going to waste ;) I echo the 'no' vote.

5. ryguy417 macrumors newbie

ryguy417

I've been thinking about this one too. Personally, I use my laptop as a "companion" to my desktop iMac. I mainly use my laptop on trips--check email, browse the web, play a couple of games, but I also use it for working on papers. If the iPhone adds document-editing support, it has a chance of replacing my PowerBook, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

6. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

If it did document editing (Pages, Omni Outliner and there was a nice folding bluetooth keyboard that went with it, then maybe for students in lectures, but it would still be limited.

7. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Not for a few years at least. (few as in many)

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

maybe.

:p

It depends on why you use a laptop. If it's to stay in email contact, occasionally review documents (pdfs only for now, but you can save other formats as .pdf if necessary until more formats are supported), and sometimes look up information on the go (e.g. maps, macrumors ;)), then yes.

If you use your laptop to write documents, edit photos, and play games, then clearly not.

Because I think most people with laptops fall more towards the second categore, I'm inclined to agree with "no" as a gneral answer. But, I can certainly see times when I might leave my laptop at home, but would have brought it if not for having (hypothetically) an iphone.

9. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

10. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

I'm not quite suggesting replacing all laptop functions with the iPhone but just the basic ones like Mail, iTunes, Pages, maybe Keynote, Safari, etc. etc.

I am NOT thinking about using iPhone to do stuff like Final Cut Pro, Aperture, Logic Pro or pro end apps. Just the normal stuff that I don't want to drag 4-5 pounds of extra metal around everyday...

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No as having a laptop means having a full computer, the iPhone isn't a computer w/ a modern OS. Its a portable device with a very very modern OS. I hope it will be able to do web and documents well enough to almost replace my laptop, but when I go on trips I'll still want my iBook

12. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

If you are using only 3.5" of your laptop screen for skype then yes, otherwise no.

13. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

We are missing fetures still, so i think I'm gonna get the iPhone to replace my ibook, and still have a desktop computer. But i'm still like ---> :confused: :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;) :D :( :eek:

14. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

15. DA-Steve macrumors regular

16. Cepe Indicum macrumors regular

I can see why everyone is being so negative on this one, but I think I see where you're coming from princealfie :)

I guess if you have a laptop that you carry round so that you can keep up with emails, diary, a few notes here-and-there, etc., then the iPhone will take the place of your laptop.

I'm sure if Apple announced iWork integration before launch, there may be a few more positives on this thread ;)

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

My keyboard has more surface area than the iPhone's screen. I have big hands. = no phone can replace my laptop.

Heck, even those 10-inchers from Sony and others are just too damn small.

18. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I currently have an iMac and I'm eying a Macbook for portability...but I would really be using it only for iTunes, looking at the occasional website, checking my email, and chatting with friends....

If only the iPhone offered iChat mobile then it would replace my want for a laptop....

but like I said I have an iMac

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, a laptop with 8G space and limited function? hell no

20. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Can you make a speed racer out of an Apple branded car with its bonnet welded shut?

21. dnordstrom macrumors member

dnordstrom

It's a phone designed for music. I will not replace a laptop.

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

23. MrMacbookMan macrumors newbie

Maybe if your laptop is just a supplement to your desktop and you are and extremely light user and some more apps are added to the iphone. But besides that, sorry, I'm sticking with no.

24. BigPrince macrumors 68020

25. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well i think it can cover some of the tasks that a laptop also provides. I may be getting one. But I don't have a laptop. It may be able to cover some of the same things as a laptop if you have a desktop at home. But not "replace" a laptop.