Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Okay I use an iPhone 4S. It is jailbroken but I'm not sure that has anything to do with the problem.

For the past couple of weeks I've noticed absolutely horrible reception. Yesterday I hit rock bottom as pretty much all day it either had the AT&T logo show up with 0 bars or it had 1 bar of service. It would go to 5 bars for about 30 seconds and drop right back to 0 or 1.

My question is, do you think this is a problem with the service antenna, and has anybody else had this problem?

Today it seems to be behaving a lot better but I'm still wondering if I should get the antenna replaced. There is an iPhone repair place not far from me.

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
I would bring it back to the Apple Store to let them test it or anything and if the reception-problem is a hardware flaw they should replace your phone without any costs at all.

Dave,

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've had days on Verizon where I usually get MAX reception, I've had 1-2 bars... I imagine they're just repairing a tower or fixing it or whatever because after a day or two it goes back.

But sounds like you're having another problem - the 5 bars for 30 seconds thing.

----------

I would bring it back to the Apple Store to let them test it or anything and if the reception-problem is a hardware flaw they should replace your phone without any costs at all.

Dave,

Don't you get shot on sight if you have a jailbroken phone and enter an Apple store?

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
I've had days on Verizon where I usually get MAX reception, I've had 1-2 bars... I imagine they're just repairing a tower or fixing it or whatever because after a day or two it goes back.

But sounds like you're having another problem - the 5 bars for 30 seconds thing.

----------

Don't you get shot on sight if you have a jailbroken phone and enter an Apple store?

A simple restore on the iPhone itself solves the "problem", once you've done that they aren't able to know that the device has been jailbroken in the past.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Okay I use an iPhone 4S. It is jailbroken but I'm not sure that has anything to do with the problem.

For the past couple of weeks I've noticed absolutely horrible reception. Yesterday I hit rock bottom as pretty much all day it either had the AT&T logo show up with 0 bars or it had 1 bar of service. It would go to 5 bars for about 30 seconds and drop right back to 0 or 1.

My question is, do you think this is a problem with the service antenna, and has anybody else had this problem?

Today it seems to be behaving a lot better but I'm still wondering if I should get the antenna replaced. There is an iPhone repair place not far from me.

Could be the towers were having some issues and they are now ok. Wouldn't hurt to go to an apple store to have them look at it tho if there is a problem.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
My phone is jailbroken and there is no way I will bring my phone to Apple to for them to unjailbreak it like they did with my iPod touch that is now stuck on iOS 6

You say a tower might have been down but how come other peoples phones were working that had AT&T

lifeguard

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Put the phone in Field Test and post the the results to see what the radio is seeing. (the number next to the AT&T)
dial *3001#12345#*

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I took it to an iPhone repair shop and they told me they think the baseband is damaged.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I would compare your carrier update file against a non issue iphone. You may have an outdated file which is causing the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.