Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
I use my palm for 2 things: Addressbook (mostly lookups, infrequent additions) and Daytimer - synching with Lotus notes at work for my calendar.
Will the ipod (or mini) provide functionality close enough for me to replace my palm?

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Probably not. The address book should be fine, but syncing with that Lotus application for your calendar is not even in the realm of possibility. If you work in an all-Mac environment and don't care about updating info on the iPod manually, then it can replace a Palm ... it did for me, I gave my Tungsten away to my nephew last month.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
hmmm,
Well, I could keep my palm - it synchs to notes, then synch it at home to ical and then the ipod will sych with ical, yes? long way around...
now to decide on which to get - probably the mini due to the form factor -

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
By the time you do all that work-around syncing, you will end up with messy data. I tried to sync my Tungsten, Sony Ericcson phone and PowerBook to my iMac for awhile, but I finally got sick of all the duplicate numbers and addresses and started over.

Are you seriously thinking about buying the mini? Why? Four gigs is not a lot of space, I have 11 gigs of music on my iPod right now and my 15 gig iPod is looking a little too small for me. The iPod becomes so addictive that you start seeking out new music to fill it up ... beware, those 4 gigs will go very quickly and keeping some of your stuff offline takes away some of the fun of the device.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by chicagdan
By the time you do all that work-around syncing, you will end up with messy data. I tried to sync my Tungsten, Sony Ericcson phone and PowerBook to my iMac for awhile, but I finally got sick of all the duplicate numbers and addresses and started over. ...

Not just the Address Book, either. There are fundamental design problems in iCal. I sync'd my phone to a laptop, a pocketpc to my cube, and sync'd the two Macs over .Mac, and got massive duplicates. I went through 3 complete cycles and duplicates kept being created. I'd like to use iCal because it looks nice and it's fairly user-friendly, but it needs a lot of work.

bsb

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2003
Denver
Re: can the ipod replace my Palm?

Originally posted by maclamb
I use my palm for 2 things: Addressbook (mostly lookups, infrequent additions) and Daytimer - synching with Lotus notes at work for my calendar.
Will the ipod (or mini) provide functionality close enough for me to replace my palm?

Apart from the syncing issues, you cannot enter data on an iPod -- it is a static/display device only.

I stopped using my Palm when I got a Sony/Ericsson T68i ... but I still long for a data input device as small and handy as a Palm. I carry my PowerBook as a result.

Since the iPod has OS/data handling capabilities, what about a Bluetooth adapter and the ability to handle a wireless keyboard and enter notes........ Apple/Griffin/Belkin??

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Re: Re: can the ipod replace my Palm?

If you use your Palm to enter data or run applications, an iPod will not replace it. Example: I use a contraband Weight Watchers app on my Palm, and also use it as the central place to enter information that I then sync to my work PC and occasionally to my Mac, so an iPod wouldn't replace my Palm.

If you just use your Palm to carry data, especially if it's only calendars/contacts, then an iPod may well work as a replacement, though as noted syncing might not be fun.

Or, if you carry a cell phone, consider syncing your calendars/contacts to the phone, and having the iPod just for music.
Originally posted by bsb
Since the iPod has OS/data handling capabilities, what about a Bluetooth adapter and the ability to handle a wireless keyboard and enter notes........ Apple/Griffin/Belkin??

That is a truly kick-ass idea....even a non-wireless keyboard like the Palm ones, with a slide-out Dock connector, would be awesome. Here's hoping someone from one of those companies is listening!

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
thanks to all of you - great points - I'll wait on the iPod.
Muchas I might want it I:
1. Don't listen to much music
2. Have a portable firewire drive to move dfata betioween worjk and home PCs
3. Have a USB pendrive which is best by far - I use it to move between Mac as well as PC - I love how there are no harddrive formating issues like te FW Drive - I am using i t more and more as a mobile drive...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.