Can the iPod sort a playlist by artist?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TWLreal, Dec 2, 2006.

1. TWLreal macrumors 6502

Situation: I have a 30 GB iPod video and a MacBook. The iPod does not automatically sync to my library nor do I want it to.

Problem: I have a playlist with, let's say 10 songs on the iPod. In iTunes, when my iPod is plugged in, I sort this playlist by artist name from A to Z, naturally. I see that there is a column which lists the tracks from 1 to 10 and they are in the right order.

However, on the iPod, if I go to said playlist, the tracks are ordered by date added. As in, the last song I added to the playlist is at the bottom of the list. So, they're not sorted by artist name, which sucks since I can't find things easily.

Shouldn't the iPod playlist reflect the way I sorted it in iTunes? Yeah, I said 10 songs, but really, it's a lot more than that so it's very hard for me to find something I want from that playlist.

No, it's not a smart playlist.

2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Right-click on the playlist in iTunes and choose Copy to Play Order. That will copy the playlist order to whichever way you have it initially sorted. :) Sync it back to your iPod and it'll display correctly.

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo

3. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

I can try that, except the "sync it back to your iPod" part.

The songs are different from my current library and my iPod one. I don't want to sync it since it will delete and replace my iPod library. :|

4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

No, it's unfortunate you can't re-order in iPod. Your situation is what we call, being "hooped".

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo

5. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, what do you know.

You may use the "Copy to Play Order" any time you wish. I just ordered all of my playlists by artist, and did a "Copy to Play order" on all of them as well. Ejected my iPod and bamf! The playlists are all sorted accordingly.

I still wish it would do it automatically though. As in, I add the songs, iTunes shows them in the correct order and whenever I eject the iPod, it would update the playlist order to the one in iTunes.

But I guess that's who automatic sync works. Which I'm not a big fan of.

6. airkarol macrumors 6502

Download iPod Rip, it has a free demo. Get the songs off the iPod, then bring them into iTunes and sync.