Can the macbook get wireless internet? If so how?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kelodin, Feb 9, 2007.

1. kelodin macrumors newbie

thank you:) since there seems no apparent place to stick one of those wireless cards, just thought i might ask...

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It has wireless built in :confused:, if you mean mobile data (like 3G) then you have to use a phone via bluetooth.

3. kelodin thread starter macrumors newbie

o i meant like wireless interent? is there a way to do that without the cable line?

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I think you need to do a 'tiny' bit of research before you ask such a basic question. You seem to be new to macs so i will give you the benefit of the doubt...

It has a wireless card built into it. To get wireless internet you need a wireless access point. Apples Airport Extreme is my choice, there are cheaper alternatives. Your cable from your modem goes into the Airport Base and then wirelessly beams the net to the wireless (airport) card in your MacBook.

http://www.apple.com/uk/airportextreme/sharing.html

5. kelodin thread starter macrumors newbie

so as long as there are vantage points i can access the interent? but what if i dont know the NAMes of these wireless internet things? sry my mom decided to buy me an macbook, and i pretty much a noob when it comes to macs

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I was looking for that link but couldnt find it :eek: Looks like US site though ;)

Also Kelodin. Dont keep putting ... in the title box when creating a new post. Its annoying :D just leave it blank (unless you are starting a new thread).

7. kelodin thread starter macrumors newbie

another question what if the computer is a pc? will the airport extreme still work on it?

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Yes they use all the same technology. It works exactly the same as it would on a PC. I take it you are familiar with those?

9. kelodin thread starter macrumors newbie

thankz and yes i am, but as m original question, can u still connect to the wireless internet if u dont know the name of the thing?

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Your wireless should show what is available ( click on wireless symbol on menu bar) they may be open (anyone can join ) or not,if your want more details download MacStumbler (free).

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

It can be set up to automatically connect to the closest 'network' but you will most likely need to know the password.

The mac im working on at the moment doesnt have airport so i cant remember how it works but if you go into System Preferences > Network you can see a list of networks that your airport card is picking up and choose one of those. If its a free public 'hot spot' you should be fine to connect but if you are trying to access your neighbours network for 'free' access it will likely be password protected (and illegal).

Also there should be an 'airport' icon in top right of your screen which you can click on and change a few options. Have a fiddle.

12. kelodin thread starter macrumors newbie

thankz, the both of you have been a big help! :)

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I just had to praise the people who answered this thread.

It had such potential to turn into a big flaming bag of poop, and yet it stayed a nice golden jewel encrusted turd!

(i couldnt find a pic of the golden turd from American Dad, sorry)

14. L3X macrumors 6502a

if we want people to enjoy the world of apple, we must be nice to them and just show them how awesome macs are.

15. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

No kidding, I was :eek: :confused: :eek: from the second I read the question.

16. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

someone watches American Dad!?

17. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

i dont get your post, are you meaning something I aint understanding?

18. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Besides the 802.11 wireless everyone is talking about, Verizon offers a 3/4 EVDO card that fits and works on my Macbook Pro, or you can do it via Bluetooth- in fact the built-in drivers on OSX work fine, you don't even need the driver disk like you do in Windows. :D