Can the Macbook handle 4GB of RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phungy, Dec 7, 2006.

1. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I searched but couldn't find the answer, if this has been discussed I truly apologize.

I know the MBP can handle 2GB sticks but I was wondering if the MBs can handle 4GB (2x2GB)?

I know this may seem overkill but I'm curious.

Thanks!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No.
    The MacBook, the CoreDuo MBP, Mini and iMac will not recognize 2 Gb SODIMMs.
    (well, one guy got his MB to recognize a single 2 Gb by clocking it down or something, but it crashed with anything in the second socket, so it makes no odds against 2 x 1 Gb)

The Core2 Duo MacBook Pro and iMac C2D only will go to 3 Gb (1 Gb + 2 Gb), You can physiclly put 2 x 2 Gb into but even then only 3 Gb will be recognized in OSX, and only 2 Gb in Bootcamp/Windows IIRC.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

To be exact, if you put in 2x2GB modules you only get the benefit of 3.2gb, so it is not worth it ;)

4. phungy thread starter macrumors 68020

phungy

5. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

is this a software limitation or hardware?? cause I know some of the older ibook ram restriction were surpassed later on with a firmware upgrade.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Intel chipset limitation, even Windows users are stuck with the same mobile 945 chipset limitations.

It is a 32-bit chipset with the hardware DMA addresses mapped directly on top of the normal memory space -- can't do anything about it.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The OP was asking about a MacBook, specifically. If you put in 2 x 2 Gb it won't boot.

8. brando06 macrumors regular

Core 2 Duo

What about the C2D Macbook (not pro). I've read some places that you are able to put 2x2gb

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'd like to see those sources, because I've never heard of it working. (As CanadaRAM said in his first post...)

10. brando06 macrumors regular

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

12. ForeverUnknown macrumors regular

MacBook is up to 2GB. MacBook Pro is 3. It's all on the spec pages on Apple.com