Can the MacBook survive three years of film school?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kingsly, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

    Kingsly

    #1
    I am about to put in my order for my Mac Book Pro but I had one question.
    I need to be able to run Final Cut Express. Apple mentions FCP and Motion not running on rossetta and I can pay such and such to get a universal binary... But no mention of Final cut Express
    Has anyone had any luck with Express HD under Rosetta? Thanks.

    Oh, well I guess I have one more question.
    I will quite literally kill myself if I dont have my MBP as soon as possible, but I will need it for film school when I go next year. Basically it has to survive at lease three years of rigorous video editing and processing, not to mention Call of Duty 2 now and again. Anyone think it can handle it? I have survived three years on an eMac so I am sure something with the word "pro" in the name will give me at least three more...
    Basically, being the tech nut that I am, I worry that I may be dying for the MacBook Conroe or Merom or whatever comes next. Arrrrghh! The joys of being an apple aficionado.
     
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

    iMeowbot

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2003
    #2
    FCE has the same disclaimer, "Not supported on Intel-based Mac computers with Rosetta".

    All Apple have to say in their store is "The next feature release of Final Cut Express will be a Universal application, which will run natively on both PowerPC- and Intel-based Mac computers." That looks like there will only be a regular paid version upgrade to get a universal version :(
     
  3. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #3
    The new versions of Final Cut should be out by the end of March.
    The new MBP should be an excellent choice, but being Rev " A"
    I would be sure to get Applecare before your warranty expires.
     
  4. juble macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 9, 2005
  5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #5
    Since you're getting it for next year, I say wait. I think getting it now just because you're giddy, and then having to upgrade FCE later on would be a bad decision all around. Just wait until everything you want comes out. It won't be long anyway, and by then the MBP and FCE will be less buggy and will work properly on an Intel chip.
     
  6. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

    Kingsly

    #6
    USC film school...
    Does anyone know if apple will take back FCE? I just got it for Christmas! Sort of like when you buy iLife '05 and then '06 is released...? From the looks of the iMac forums the actual computer is an excellent machine, just plagued by software compatibility issues. I can deal with those for now.

    I don't really care about waiting, I know there will always be something new just around the corner and if I try to wait until the next revision all the time I would never be in a position to get a computer.
     
  7. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #7
    Wait until the Back to School sale and get a free iPod with you MBP.
     
  8. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

    bigbossbmb

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2004
    Location:
    Pasadena/Hollywood
    #8
    The UNIVERSAL versions of Final Cut will be out in March...the new version should be out at NAB in April.

    With the MacBook Pro, wait until Merom. You'll have it in time for school and you'll get a much better laptop.

    Congrats on USC Film...I'm stuck with UC Santa Cruz Film...
     
  9. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

    rjphoto

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2005
    #9
    Only if it is unopened.

    There may be an upgrade option unlike iLife.

    There is also the Student Discount.
     
  10. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

    Kingsly

    #10
    If apple will take back FCE then I can stand to wait until march. The box it came in looked like it had been run over by the UPS guy, so perhaps they wont notice it has been opened (just to look!). My other problem is about $500 of my MBP money is sitting in front of me in the form of an eMac. I am worried if I wait too long that money will dwindle away. Also, what's the big deal with Merom? So what if its 64 bit, I never plan on using mathematica. And if its about addressing boatloads of RAM I ask: how? How do I fit 16 GB or ram into an 1 inch thin laptop? Otherwise, what's the difference? Bus speed? 667mhz over 133mhz is good enough for me! Better video card? ATI X1600 over my old Radeon 7500?!
    Other than actual "Rev A" bugs (which, as I have said before, don't seem to be apparent) what am I getting myself into? Oh yeah, I wont have a car.
     
  11. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

    bigbossbmb

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2004
    Location:
    Pasadena/Hollywood
    #11
    Merom will be faster AND use less power... you might see 4-5hr actual battery life plus you'll get better render times. As far as software goes, hopefully Apple will return FCE and you can go til the end of April and get FCP6.
     
  12. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2003
    #12
    I thought I remembered seeing in the keynote that if you had the newest version of Final Cut, you could trade it in for $50 to get the universal version.
     
  13. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

    rjphoto

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2005
    #13
    I think that $50 swap is for Final Cut Pro and Aperature.


    Maybe they will do the same for FC Express.
     
  14. candyapple8 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2005
    #14
    awww you're so lucky you got in... i didn't get in to the film school so i changed my major to EE. you'll be a fellow trojan ;)
     
  15. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

    Kingsly

    #15
    Well, uhh... Im not quite in yet, though they're talking to me like its a sure thing...

    I sure hope Apple does an exchange for FCE, or I will be out another $99 bucks. Anyone wanna buy an eMac? Or an XG-135 CRT projector?
     
  16. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #16
    Once Apple releases the Universal binary version, they will upgrade your current version for a nominal fee.

    I think it's $49.00
     

Share This Page