Can the OLD AppleTV do this?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cube, Sep 2, 2010.

1. macrumors G3

- Do not connect TV
    - Sync all your iTunes music to the Apple TV
    - Use now the AppleTV as a jukebox, controlling it with an iPod Touch

This would be to replace an Airport Express

2. macrumors 68030

No.

3. macrumors P6

Intell

Yes it can do this. I've been thinking about doing this to my old ATV for some time now.

4. macrumors G3

5. macrumors P6

Intell

As my post said, Yes you can do this.

6. macrumors G3

Yes, I ordered. Over 33% off, haha.

7. macrumors 68020

ipedro

Yes. I plan to do this once I get the new tv.

8. macrumors member

Ok. This is freaking awesome. May have to order one of those clearance original appletvs.

9. macrumors 6502

potatis

But you can't on the new, since the lacks of storage. Or can you?

10. macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

The way I'm reading it, as long as the content is on a switched on device on your network you should be able to airplay it your appletv.

11. macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

That's correct. ipedro will not be able to use the new AppleTV like the original poster stated. It's strictly streaming, whether from the cloud or a local computer.

12. macrumors 65816

Alternatively, you can buy a new Apple TV and, using Airplay, stream music from your iPod Touch. Same result, different process. The decision, I suspect, will depend mostly on whether you have all your music on your Touch, or if you need the bigger capacity of the old ATV.

13. macrumors G3

The iPod touch is too big, the iPhone is too expensive.

I guess I'll be getting an iPad 3G.

14. macrumors G3

Streaming is of lower quality than content stored in the ATV.

15. macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I bet he meant he plans to do it with his old one once he gets the new one. That's what I may do.

16. macrumors 6502a

Is it? I thought AirTunes streamed using apples lossless format...

17. macrumors G3

Yes, but dropouts can happen, even if very rare.

Changing the stream also forces you to wait a couple of seconds.

18. macrumors G3

I just realized you need to leave your network switched on. This sucks.

19. macrumors 68000

You switch your network off?

20. macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

^^^ ha my thoughts exactly!!!

the benefits of the 'old' apple tv is that you can store content locally, therefore if you have your music on a laptop for example you can still access it even when itunes is not open.

although I think what will be a bigger game changer is the fact that apple is opening up airplay to 3rd parties so we should see some pretty neat examples of streaming.

At home I run an AE express on a G network and A TV on my N network and never see any dropouts, although there is a delay as it buffers but this I feel is inevitable for the most part, although may improve with the new software

21. macrumors G3

I can make a "shadowing" mini-network with the redundant Airport Express, but it's bad that it doesn't have a power switch, so that one must kludge it up.

22. macrumors G3

OK, I think if I put the Express in WDS mode, it can always act as a DHCP server to its clients, even when the whole network with its main DHCP server is on, so that it never needs to be switched off.

23. macrumors 68020

ipedro

I realize my comment could be confused. I meant, I will do this with my old AppleTV when I get the new one.

I think I'm going to go a little more ambitious though. I have an old 17" flat screen laying around that I never use. I'm going to frame it like a picture with a nice wide and deep wooden frame. Behind the TV, I'll leave the AppleTV plugged in. I can then place it on the wall as a dedicated sound system that can play to all the airport express speakers I have in different rooms.

I'll leave it playing a screensaver of my music collection album art when not in use.

24. macrumors 68000

Be careful of heat buildup. Your plans don't seem too safe for the amount of heat an ATV puts out. Enclosing it in a box will only cause you problems, especially adjacent to a heat-producing monitor. :(

25. macrumors newbie

I'm guessing the answer might be "we'll have to wait until its released" but is it possible/likely that I could store my media on an old/current appletv and stream it to a new appleTV? I like the small size/cost/low heat of the new one but don't want my laptop to need to be on every time I want to watch something.