can the time to fully charged on a powerbook be trusted?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dm33186, Apr 15, 2005.

1. dm33186 macrumors member

right now my battery is at 57% and it says almost 5 hours until charged. does that seem right?

2. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Yes that is correct. If you look at your powerbook in 5 hrs it will be fully charged. Although it might happen before that. :D

3. dm33186 thread starter macrumors member

do they really take that long to charge? just seems like a long time

4. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

I was joking. It should only take like 2hrs to fully charge. You might have a faulty battery, charger, or computer. Try a different power outlet in your house. If that doen't fix it wait until the battery is fully charged then press the button on the bottom and see if all the green lights come on. Other than that you either have to take it to apple or replace parts in the order of cheapest to most expensive and see which one resolves it.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It depends on what else you are doing. If you shut all the apps on your Mac or let it go to sleep, the battery will be fully restored faster.

If you are working on your Mac at a reasonably constant rate, then the figure will be accurate. Cut down the intensity of what you are doing and it will go down, start burning lots of CDs to the hard drive and it may go up. Just like how fast the battery power goes down.

It might be worth recalibrating your battery though if you haven't done so recently. Take it to full charge and then unplug and use until the PB puts itself to sleep when it gets down to less than 5%. Then plug it in and allow it to charge back to full again.

6. bubbamac macrumors 6502

An addendum:

I've found that as my battery gets older, the time gets less reliable. My battery has now failed - the computer shuts off at 30% - so I guess it's time for a new one... :(

Not bad for 2 1/2 years of hard, every day use. I'm not complaining...