Can the Touch 4 still play many games?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by raccoonboy, Jan 22, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Plan to buy IPT4 16G this friday for music, some clips/mv. I guess there should be around 5 GB or so left for gaming so can it still run new and updated games?

I read on the web that Temple run 2 is completely unplayable and thats okay because i play it on my Ipad. What about Street fighter x tekken, King of fighter, Infinity blade 2? Hope you guys can advise, thanks.

2. macrumors 604

Being only 1 gen old it should be able to run everything with relative ease :)

3. macrumors 65816

Graphic-intensive apps like the ones you listed will almost certainly lag in some areas of the game, because the old A4 chip won't be able to handle such graphics with ease.

Get the 5th Gen if you want lag-free gaming. May be slightly more expensive, but it will be worth the investment.

4. macrumors G3

As mentioned some games don't perform well on the older iPod Touches. Are you sure your space requirements aren't going to increase in the time you own the iPod Touch?

And it will also be useable longer. Some game designers only test heavily on the latest hardware meaning that the performance on the older devices might suffer. They'll only test enough on the older devices to make sure it isn't broken.

5. macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

The 4th gen doesn't have much life in it as far as gaming is concerned.

6. macrumors regular

If you wanna play games like infinity blade, asphalt 7,need for speed most wanted then forget the 4h gen

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

what about fighting games like Street x tekken and KOF?

8. macrumors regular

i never play those games, sorry, but basically what i was saying was if you wanna heavy graphic games then don't get the 4th, but it should handle "light" games like temple run fine (not sure about temple run 2 though, looks like it has too much heavy graphics)

you might wanna go to the apple store and try it, but i think you should get the 5th (which i have) it has the a5 chip, i use mine to play infinity blade, asphalt,... as school really fun

9. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Don't waste your money on a 4th generation ipod touch. It doesn't have enough ram and runs pretty crappy even when doing very little.

10. macrumors 65816

Troneas

actually, whilst it takes some time to load, asphalt 7 runs pretty smoothly on the IPT 4.

11. macrumors member

RylanH16

It sucks

Although most games work on the iPod touch 4th gen, any game that's more intense than smashing ants or some crappy game like that will definitely lag. I still like my iPod and use it a lot, but if you're buying it primarily for gaming, get a 5th gen. Mine lags almost every 10 seconds or so just playing Temple Run or Hill Climb, and those really aren't near as demanding as some games like Real Racing 2 or Epoch. And the performance will be even worse if you have music playing at the same time.

----------

Yeah Asphalt 6 worked fine on mine until I got to about 50% through and then the app wouldn't even open:mad: so I had to delete it.