Can this be done, please help?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by umdjb, Jan 9, 2007.

1. umdjb macrumors regular

May 27, 2006
    Washington D.C.
    I am purchasing a MB soon and was wondering if I can hook it up to my 19" Dell monitor and close the laptop and use it as my 'cpu' with mouse and keyboard?
  2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2006
    Yeah with some software mods that I have seen other people use but I wouldn't recommend doing it. Gets too hot.
  3. tvguru macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Kenora, ON Canada
    99% sure they added that to the MB's. It's called clam shell mode and someone will be around shortly with a definite answer for you.
  4. umdjb thread starter macrumors regular

May 27, 2006
    Washington D.C.
    what specs would I need?

RAM? Is the standard video card enough?
  5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Unlike iBooks (where this is not recommended) MacBooks are designed to run in clamshell mode. The standard graphics "card" (it's not a card, it's built into the chipset) is fine. Not that you can change it anyway. The only restriction is that you need an external keyboard and mouse.
  6. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2006
    Not at the beach...
    A MB can drive a 19" screen out of the box.
    I don't think you could use a 30" screen... But 19" is OK.
  7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Yes, should not be any problem. You just plug it in using a mini-DVI to DVI adapter or a mini-DVI to VGA adapter, and then plug in the keyboard and mouse, close the MacBook, and wake it using the keyboard and mouse. If you are using a wireless kb/mouse (BT), then you need to check settings in system preferences allowing for wake on bluetooth (it's in the Bluetooth pane, and not the energy saver pane). That's it. Very easy.

The only other thing you may have to do is configure the screen resolution the first time you use it. Typically it's quite good at auto-configuring, though.

The MacBook can also run with the screen open and drive two different displays on the two screens, if you wish.
  8. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Sep 15, 2006
    Stuck beween a rock and a hard place
    Running the MB "as a CPU" will NOT damage your computer. Both the MB and the MBP will run just fine in what is called clamshell mode. The catch is that once you close the lid, they go to sleep. The way you wake them is to plug in a mouse and keyboard, to wake them and operate them. The MB will push a screen up to 1200 X 1900, which is the size of a Dell 24" widescreen. You'll be fine on a 20".