Can This Price Be Right - Canon Gl2 for $999

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DEXTERITY, Dec 2, 2006.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

I was looking into getting a decent camera and saw a website has the Gl2 for around $1000. Does that seem right? I saw it on Amazon for $1750 plus.

Is anyone familiar with expresscameras.com?

I was looking into the new Sony HC3 or SR1 but the reviews didn't seem that promising (need something good in low light) and a $1000 for a Gl2 seemed to good to be true.

Would appreciate anyones input. Thanks in advance.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Come come... you've been here a while, right? You know that any deal that is too good to be true probably is.

What happens when you plug expresscameras.com into Google?

Digital cameras: Online Camera Buyers Beware Expresscameras.com

Reviewcentre

Photographyreview

Complaints.com

ALWAYS check out an unknown vendor at
    Epinions.com

Resellerratings.com

and the Better Business Bureau

The short answer is: This company is a no-fly zone, podner.
    Do your due diligence first, you never would have had to post the question here.

3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

DANGER WILL ROBINSON.

Avoid 'em. Basically, there are three kinds of online resellers. They are as follows:

1. The guys who all sell at just a few bucks under MSRP. BHphoto.com, adorama.com, etc.
    2. The guys who sell at about 200% MSRP, because they figure someone will fall for it.
    3. The guys who sell at 50% MSRP.

You want to avoid groups 2 and 3. Those who fall into the group 3 category will either send you a broken, stolen, or completely wrong model camera, or nothing at all. They will ALWAYS make you call to confirm, at which point they refuse to allow you to purchase their illegitimate goods unless you buy $1000 in accesories, which they will also choose not to send. They Are based out of manhattan, and their customer supprt is made up of a few angry guys who don't give a **** about your business. There's actually a really good thread on here about those companies, documenting the actual locations (i.e. empty warehouses in the Bronx) and their reputations. I'll try to find it.

The moral of the story is don't fall for the "super deals" on these sites. And try googling the store name before you buy... you'll be able to find lots about their reputation. As much as i hate stupid sayings like this....

"If it's too good to be true, it probably is."

EDIT: You're good CanadaRAM. Almost too good...:cool:

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yeah, but I'm not true.... ;)

For example, just look at my Avatar. In real life, I never pose in front of a giant Canadian flag...

5. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

THAT IS A SCAM SITE!!!!

I too was fooled by their insane prices... They had a "GREAT DEAL" on the Sony VX2100, but after reading reviews on the site resellerratings.com
    I found it was a Scam Bait and Switch type site DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!!!

6. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE HEADS UP.. Thats why I asked, lol. I figured something wasn't right, just wanted to be sure..

THANKS FOR THE LINKS CANADA.

Appreciate everyones help!

7. Garden Knowm macrumors 6502

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Keep it real..

If you have never been to the actual store in NYC (mother land of all GOODNESS).. then you should make a point t go pay them a visit. The place is an ecstatic dream for people with credit cards and a love for electronic goodies.

iloveyou