Can Toast 6 burn iMovies on external DVDs on a iBook ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CmdrLaForge, Nov 16, 2003.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

need some advice for Toast 6. I have an iBook G3 900MHz and I use iMovie to create my movies. I would like to burn those on an external DVD burner ( I have non so far) using Toast 6 and I wonder if this will work.

Anyone has done this before or knows if this will work ?

Thanks for your advice
    CmdrLaForge

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

If you use iMovie to edit your movie... and then export it as DV Footage (or any other quicktime movie) then Toast 6 will convert it into MPEG2 and burn it onto DVD for you (on any DVD burner).

3. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Thanks for your reply. How big will that DV file be ? I already have problems with my small 40GB drive. A 1,5 h movie takes 30GB ! That means I have (at the moment) only 5 GB left.

Can I have an external drive and DVD burner on one firewire port at the same time ?

4. the future macrumors 6502a

Yeah, sure. As long as your external devices have 2 firewire ports, you can daisychain them.

5. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

A G3 is non-altivec and it will not burn a DVD no matter what you do. Maybe a new G4 Ibook could do this, But I don't think that you will be able to install or run iDVD or DVD SP on a G3.Unless someone knows a hack for this you might be out of luck:(

6. bidge macrumors 6502

If you read his question he wanted to use toast to burn the DVD and Toast will be able to do this on any machine as it is not harware dependant. Toast will be able to do it fine, as others have said before you can daisy chain your devices together. A typical DVD is 4.4GB all up. So unless you're doing two different ones at once you should just have enough space...

If you export your video to .dv from iMovie then Toast will convert it to DVD and burn it. Toast 6 default place to store files when it's encoding something is on the internal hard drive so as long as you have a couple of spare gigs on your internal hard drive you should be sweet.

On the topic of DVD burners to get I'd recommend La Cie's products, I have had really good experience with their HD's and CD Writers/ DVD Writers

Good Luck

7. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

First of all to bidge I did read the post, and I know a few people that have tried to create DVD's with no luck on G3's. Second I know he wants to use toast for this and not dvd sp or idvd for this but I used them as an example of dvd software not workig with G3's. Toast is a different story because you can install it on any system since it can burn regular CD's. You say toast is not hardware dependent, so Have you done this before yourself with a G3? If so great, if not has anyone else. I just don't want to recommend something that I don't know will work, If it works for you more power to you.

8. bidge macrumors 6502

calm down...

I just made a DVD using Toast 6.0.3 on a G3...

I would say that it does indeed work

9. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

I'm actually quite happy to see that it worked.

10. bidge macrumors 6502

It is quite slow though... I wouldn't want to sit and watch it encode...

My machine takes a good 6 hours two do a double pass for two hours of video through compressor, I wouldn't want to sit and watch that either

11. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

Does this create an Autoplay DVD or can you do some basic authoring in toast like Menus or chaptera?

12. bidge macrumors 6502

Toast 6 can do menus and chapters but not very flashy or advanced ones like iDVD.

Having said that chapters works fine, and the menu that Toast creates (if you tell it to) is reasonably nice...

13. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

Sounds like a good low cost solution for people running G3's:D

14. bidge macrumors 6502

15. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

Does New Zealand use NTSC and which DVD region is it?

We ichatted

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think NZ uses PAL.

Lethal

17. bidge macrumors 6502

NZ is PAL Zone 4, but a lot of the DVD players are region free and also support both NTSC and PAL

18. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

thanks very much. I got a little confused about it since some posts said that its not working at all with an G3. What a little concerns me is that it takes so long. But anyway - it takes what it takes. At least I can do it with my machine for a reasonable price.

Cheers
    CmdrLaForge