Can u Help, is iBook battery DEAD?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by altaprod, Oct 18, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

altaprod

Can someone look at the information I've attached and extrapolate if this means my battery is "close to" DEAD?

Slowly over the last 3 months my computer shows a 100% charge and when I uplug the adapter it gets to about 90% (within 3-4 minutes) and then shuts down without a warning. :eek:

Thanks. I don't have the knowledge to understand the terms "cycles" and "voltage counts", etc.. :eek:

Attached Files:

2. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Have you been calibrating your battery regularly? If not, give it a shot and see if that gives you better info from the battery.

But it looks like it's dead...cycles are getting up there. Time to invest in a new one.

3. macrumors 603

mrkramer

That battery looks about dead to me. It is time to buy a new battery unless you were planning to upgrade your computer soon I'm which case it is probably better to upgrade than to spend the money on a brand new battery.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

altaprod

WildCowboy, Thanks for the fast response.:)

I'm afraid you're right because I have calibrated in the past 3 months, although not out of competence but just as a result of using the computer and it "shutting down."

The only difference being that I didn't get a "low-battery warning dialog on the screen" as stated from Apple's website that you kindly linked to in your response.

So probably time for a new battery.

Thanks again :)

mrkramer,
    Now why did you have to go and give me an excuse to buy a new computer? The temptation is already strong. :D

5. macrumors 603

mrkramer

before you do replace it check here to make sure that you do not qualify for the exchange program. I had forgotten that it includes some 15" powerbooks, and your symptoms sound very similar to the ones that I had right before I got my battery replaced by Apple.

Edit: nevermind, I looked at Wild Cowboys signature and saw jis 15" powerbook and accidentally thought I was looking at yours. but if your iBook is a 12" then it may qualify.

6. macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

CoconutBattery?! I had no idea that such an app was available. How very cool! I'm showing 54%. Good thing my Powerbook's getting replaced soon.