can u make a picture smaller?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erikpmort, Mar 24, 2007.

1. erikpmort macrumors regular

erikpmort

I'm not sure how to ask this, but how do or can you take a picture and change the resolution so its smaller? aka avatars in most online sites want something 20 kb or less, is there a way to do this with iphoto or other?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Download GraphicConverter. It's shareware and well worth it if you decide to keep it.

3. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

Or just create an Automator action with Scale Images and save it as a Finder Plug-in. After you do that, you can right-click (or control-click) an image file and resize it that way. Its free by the way... it came with your computer!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Do You Have Photoshop?

iPhoto for Mail will let you make small. Photoshop does it best. GraphicConverter is free though.

Wow that Automator trick is slick. But are those pixels vertical or horizontal?

5. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

I believe it is horizontal, but don't quote me on that. You can also change by percentage. Quite handy for quick changes.

6. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

7. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

8. erikpmort thread starter macrumors regular

erikpmort

i like the automator idea but have never used it and would like to figure it out

9. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Very nice, never noticed that! I swear... almost two years of being a Mac user and a year of SERVICING them and I STILL learn something new every day. Apple, I LOVE you. :D

Daniel.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

iPhoto will let you scale it to any size and quality level you want.

11. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

How would that be?

12. erikpmort thread starter macrumors regular

erikpmort

yes where would that be? i didn't see that in iphoto

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, in iPhoto, crop your photo to the most appropriate aspect ratio using the options in "Custom" field of the "Constrain" drop down menu. A box will appear and you can type in the eventual resolution you would like to achieve, such as 75 x 75 (MacRumors avatars). You will get a clear box over a faded version of your photo that you can stretch and move around anywhere you'd like, but it will always retain the correct aspect ratio. Then click "Crop" and then "Done." If your image is already the correct aspect ratio, then you can just skip all of that and move on to the next step.

Making sure the photo is selected, go to File -> Export, change format to JPEG, select "Scale images no larger than:" and type the final resolution you'd like once again (the same res you typed in before). Click export and tadaa.

If the exported image is still too big file size wise, you can open it in Preview and save it over itself with a lower quality JPEG setting.

14. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I love FireWorks and use it for all my web layout work, but do you really think that's the right application to recommend to someone who just wants to resize photos? "I need to slice this bread." "Oh, use a diamond-tipped table saw!"

Even though I have a number of pro graphics apps (FireWorks, Photoshop, etc), I use the wonderful and free ImageWell when I just want to quickly resize a photo. It's fast, ridiculously easy (drag the image in, move the slider, click the save button), and has additional tricks like automatic FTP upload if you so desire. Check it out.