Can Verizon iPhone 5 be activated with any simcard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TEHi, Sep 27, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Since the Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked out of the box, I wonder if I will be able to activate it with a foreign sim card?

Or it is required to activate it using a Verizon sim card in the US network?

I ask this because my friend will leave the US the next week and he may bring me an iphone 5. Verizon seems to be the only option at this time

2. macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Unlocked, yes. Trust me I've been googling this for more than 5 hours.

But activation is a different story, I'm just afarid I wont be able to activate it with a local sim card when it arrives to my country 2,000 miles away.

I asked to see if anyone here have tried actually ACTIVATING it from zero with another sim card.

4. macrumors 6502

Yes, I'm wondering the same.

5. macrumors 68040

If it's unlocked, it should activate with no issues.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone else?

7. macrumors 68040

dontwalkhand

It will activate with Apple fine. You can put the Verizon SIM anytime to actually get Verizon on it.

8. macrumors newbie

I am having the exact same question. Can I activate a full priced verizon iphone5 with a local carrier in another country? Can someone confirm this?

9. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Why you keep asking the same question?
    The answer is yes, it will activate with any GSM sim.

10. macrumors newbie

Hey I really need this answered. So I lost the sim to my iPhone 5 for verizon the service is canceled but I use it as a iPod or whatever the point is I still use it. I was wondering if I restore the phone can I still get past the activation screen with another persons verizon SIM card for iPhone 5? Ps the phone is not unlocked.

11. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

i think it will still activate on apples servers without a sim installed but im not sure. as long as its on wifi, it should activate.

12. macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

All Verizon iPhone 5 are unlocked, they can be used anywhere, but will not get LTE on the SIM chip. So if you put it on another provider it will work, but not get LTE