Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Original poster
This is a nit pick.....

Why must some people quote an entire multi-paragraph message? Quote ONLY what you are specifically responding to. DELETE the rest. Simple, easy, lowers bandwidth, less scrolling.

-idkew

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Re: Can we all just stop full quoting?

Originally posted by idkew
This is a nit pick.....

Why must some people quote an entire multi-paragraph message? Quote ONLY what you are specifically responding to. DELETE the rest. Simple, easy, lowers bandwidth, less scrolling.

-idkew

But..........That may actually require some thought!?!:eek:

I totally concur. It's SUPER IRRITATING. Particularly when it's just 1 little phrase being commented on.:rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA

ONLY

Like this?:D

Sorry, I had too. I usually comment out the unnecessary, but it never really bothered me. It would shorten up the posts though, that would be nice.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Yeah...

Its pretty unnecessary , but I don't find it all that annoying. Most people probably just do it out of laziness.

So lazy....

Matthew

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I'm agree, but the quoting is not as anoying as some signatures that describes your entire list of computers that you have at home... who is that one? I can't remember.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
all kidding aside....it's probably a good idea...

although I've been guilty of it at least a few times in the past....he he he...

who wants to read the exact same thing 2...3...4...5 times in a row?! :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by mymemory
the quoting is not as anoying as some signatures that describes your entire list of computers that you have at home... who is that one?

Now you're getting personal. I hope it doesn't snowball into something.

Is there a 'thread or post etiquette' anywhere? Maybe we should come up with some guidelines if more people start having issues with the way things are posted.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: !!!

I always wanted to do that!

So instead of quotes just put down the guy's name you want to question in your own post, or some other method, to get your point through.

Besides, especially in longer threads, you usually make general references among those who have posted. You don't need to put quotes for everything, or one at a time. It is almost as if I am watching a rerun of the entire site, etc.

No quotes? Neat thought.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Yeah!

I'm agree, but the quoting is not as anoying as some signatures that describes your entire list of computers that you have at home...

I always wanted to say something about that! I just never got it. I found it odd, again, not so much annoying.

Matthew

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I'm agree, but the quoting is not as anoying as some signatures that describes your entire list of computers that you have at home... who is that one? I can't remember.

I think he has a very valid opinion...but understand there's nothing one can do about it....

personally the signatures don't bother me too much as long as they aren't incredibly long....but I can see where he is coming from...

the signatures, though, are just a simple expression for us to use whenever posting....just a little lagniappe ("something extra" for those not in the south!:p)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
partial quotes

last year, there were some trolls that used partial quotes a lot to decieve posters into fake arguments and start flamewars

i sometimes use partial quotes, but like religion, that could be dangerous territory and hurt feelings

ever heard of out of context bible thumping? by doing that a case could me made for stoning people, having 100s of concubines, and having slaves

let's say i am repaeting something mean and nasty that a flamewarrior put on the board

someone can and will edit it to make it look like i said that thing and thirty posts later, i am the culprit and one of the moderators has to tell us all to cool it

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Originally posted by dukestreet

Now you're getting personal. I hope it doesn't snowball into something.

Hey, hey, hey... I haven't say any names yet... it was an example.

"If any one feels identify with my opinions it is just pure coincidence" :D

and Hemingray you too... your signature is too long and I can't undertand it neither.

Every body here!!! time to check your signatures. From now on they have to be:

1.Funny
2.Instructive
3.One line wide at most.
4.If is possible in Spanish
:p

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by krossfyter

i feel a quote comming on...how bout you?!!! :)

...and there it is...:D

I think the issue here is finding an appropriate balance between not clogging up the discussion threads with extra text, and letting people decide how they want to quote and what they want their sig to be.

People should be able to monitor themselves and practice good "netiquette". If someone posts several different ideas, or a question in a post, I'll just quote the sentence or address them by name in my reply. People can have any sig they want...

arn and blakespot are doing a good job, no need to complain as far as I'm concerned...

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
and Hemingray you too... your signature is too long and I can't undertand it neither.

Every body here!!! time to check your signatures. From now on they have to be:

1.Funny
2.Instructive
3.One line wide at most.
4.If is possible in Spanish
:p

Very well, you asked for it... :D

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe

I never quote and it really doesn't bother me enough to post a thread about it. Please do NOT order people about, it is not that nice is it? All you had to put was:

"Please could people"

At the start of the order!

Ensign (Yes, I am in an agressive mood again!)

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
Re: Re: Can we all just stop full quoting?

how bout turning on HTML and getting the Aqua theme for this board too :D :D

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I like the boards style but Aqua would be nice, the site sure looks nice in Omniweb, anyway I am off to find a Newton on ebay!

Ensign

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.