Can we just do away with iSync already!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by e-coli, Apr 20, 2006.

1. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Is it me or is OS X 10.4.6 now the most complicated and misguided syncing platform apple has put out since iSync was introduced. Now you have .Mac System Preferences Sync (but in order to access them via the web, you have to turn them on in your .Mac preferences ON the web as well as ON YOUR MACHINE), iSync (but just for your phone) and iTunes calendar and address book syncing (but just for your iPod).

What a total pain. This could be streamlined big time. I bet this new (what I consider to be a bug fix) user-friendly functionality will be counted as "new features" in 10.5.

:rolleyes:

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Feedback to Apple. It's all I can suggest. I have sent them ideas and feed back and once they allowed me to beta test features for Tiger.

I agree, iSync is not as easy or as useful as it should be.

By the way, I love your avatar!

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I agree. It was much better when there was just iSync to sync everything. I don't see what the new way of doing it adds or simplifies.

I'm not sure it's the "worst ever". At least it works with phones actually for sale in the US now.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For the products with out of the box iSync support, the integration is better than anything I've seen anywhere else for that purpose.... It's not like you can just pair your new phone via BT to a Windows PC and then sync all your contacts over in a couple of minutes, is it?

But I too liked it better when it was all iSync... or at least, it should be done in such a way that iSync *can* do all of these things, even if they are also located elsewhere (in a way, of course, in which doing it from either location is equivalent).

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I agree. I don't mean to complain. If anything, the problem was a lack of US phones that supported bluetooth. It's a great program, and a great concept, that seems to have gone backwards in one aspect of its implementation.

6. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

this was driving me mad the other day as i needed to update my ipod address book & couldn't work out why it didn't sync from isync. to me its fine having it in individual apps, but if you use isync it should do the whole lot.

7. e-coli thread starter macrumors 68000

e-coli

Shucks thanks. A little project I worked on a while back. ;)