Can we keep US phone carrier specific threads off the front page?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by hellomoto4, May 8, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

As a non-American reader, does anyone else think that US network specific posts should be placed in the iOS blog, rather than main page?

2. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Apple is an American Company and MacRumors is an American website, so no.

I really think that this is just a natural movement for wireless carriers, but as others have mentioned, there is no way AT&T is going to let their customers save money. Just glad I am still grandfathered into the unlimited plan

3. hellomoto4, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012

thread starter macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Sorry, but this is the worst response I've heard. Apple also sells it's iPhone to some 90 countries, on hundreds of networks, and Macrumors is accessible around the world. What makes American networks so special?

You wouldn't find the information here, since Macrumors seems to only believe that American networks are worthy of reporting on.

4. macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

There have been a lot of stories about non-American iPhone developments. They get less hits. Macrumors is a business. Give your customers more of what they want.

5. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I guess i should have said, deal with it, because it's not going to change.

6. locust76, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012

macrumors 6502a

So, Macrumors (.com, mind you) must then cater to all countries in which Apple products are sold, simply because you find it unfair that American news is covered on an American website?

I'd like to know what T-Mobile Germany is doing, since I live in Germany. Do I demand Macrumors and 9to5mac to cover T-Mobile Germany? No, I go to apfeltalk.de

Here, let me google that for you: http://www.mactalk.com.au
    (it's in English!)

7. slu
    macrumors 68000

slu

No.

8. macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

If anything it should be the opposite, and no-US carrier specific threads should not appear on the front page.

But, I think things can just stay how they are now.

9. macrumors 604

wordoflife

Just skip over it.
    News topics that are non-US are also posted on the front page too, you know.

10. macrumors 68000

wikus

I think they took the advice in this thread a little too serious and removed everything from the front page.

11. macrumors P6

dukebound85

No. Most readers here are American. Apple is American. In short, American news pertains to a ton of readers. MR has to adress the appropriate audiences

If you don't like it, you can always gloss over it...It is what I do with news that doesn't pertain to me.

12. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Many of the responses were in the right vein, but here's an official response: Yes, Apple is a U.S. company and a majority of our readers come from the U.S. Consequently, there is significantly greater overall interest in topics affecting U.S. customers.

Today has certainly been a carrier-heavy news day, but that's the way the news flows sometimes.

Not everything will appeal to every reader and that's fine. We've got tons of people waiting for Mac news, but things have been very scant on that front despite things seeming to be coming together for a huge number of updates.

We work with what we've got, and experience helps guide us as to what people will be most interested in reading about and discussing. We're not perfect in our decisions, but we do our best.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

I do not think it is unfair, but I think that the carrier specific news should be moved to the iOS blog such that Americans are still able to view it, and the main page does not get clogged.

Yes, I understand this, but non-US carrier-specific news is not. Although I am not wishing for this to happen, I believe that it should be moved to the iOS blog as it more or less concerns iOS only.

Thanks for the response, WildCowboy; I appreciate it amongst the other flaming replies. As mentioned above, I just think that carrier-specific news could be moved to the iOS blog as is concerns iOS.

14. macrumors regular

I really don't think Apple knows that there are more countries in the world other than USA.

Siri does not work fully outside the states

15. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

To be fair sometimes there are articles specifically about carriers from other nations, not often but they still get posted. Not every article can cater to everyone, just don't read it.

16. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

You obviously do not know that America is the center of the universe!

Ergo, it makes perfect sense that everything American should have a place of prominence.

You foreigners...really!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

17. hellomoto4, May 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012

thread starter macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

... From Apple itself, in case you weren't to believe me:
    The only thing that is not functional is finding businesses etc, which I can only assume is not completely in Apple's control, unless they were to log all businesses around the world themselves.

18. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Stay on topic, and please leave the PRSI stuff out of the discussion.

19. macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Personally, I would like to keep seeing carrier news on the front page, as my cluttered life usually keeps me lurking on the mainpage and mainpage forum threads only of late. I can definitely see the OPs point, but I think that iPhone carrier info is important enough to qualify for the main feed (particularily in a slow news week).

20. macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I think British only articles should be shown on the front page. Who the hell wants to know about American news!?!?

21. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You'll need to go to macrumours.com for that.

22. macrumors 68020

smithrh

"Domain not active"

:)

23. macrumors 604

wordoflife

They try to get other carrier news on the page too, but they won't get everything.

In essence, that's like going to apfeltalk.de and asking them to put German carrier news on a different pane since there isn't any news about Vodafone or Telstra.

After all, this is an American website.

24. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

25. macrumors regular

"America is the center of the universe"

where'd you get that from? Wikipedia?