Can we return hot, whining MBP's?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NewSc2, May 10, 2006.

1. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I recently sold my 17" Powerbook and I'm looking to purchase a 17" MBP. I've seen the mostly decent reviews of it, but I'm worried that the laptop I purchase would be hot/whining. I do audio work, and I cannot work with a computer that whines. Would I be able to exchange or return the MBP if my laptop has these problems?

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Within the first 14 days, you will be able to... if not for free, then for a 10% restocking fee (which is nothing to scoff at with the high price of the computers).

I've heard the 17" MBP's are much cooler and are generally in better shape than the 15" 's though, so I wouldn't worry.

3. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Really? I didnt know that. Has someone received the 17" yet?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

There are a few new 17" owners here and on the Apple Support forums that have posted their inital impressions. :)

5. NewSc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

well, i don't even want to take the 10% restocking fee, I just want one that doesn't get overly hot or whine. I've seen the reviews, most seem good, but some have reported a slight whine and pretty hot temperatures.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

I guess it all depends on where you buy it.

I bought my 15" MBP at CompUSA. Their deal is that once it's opened, you can exchange it or return it for 'store credit' within 21 days. I exchanged my MBP once about two weeks ago and ended up brining that back for a full refund last night. They were very cool about bending their "no refund" policy in light of the situation.

Each retailer will have their own policy, so check it out before you buy.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

At one point Amazon didn't have restock fees and pretty open return policy, so you might check there. They usually have $150 rebates too.

8. NewSc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm purchasing off the Apple store online; using my student discount. I was hoping I could take it into an Apple store if I had any problems, to get an exchange.

basically, would Apple acknowledge this as something that is exchange-able?

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Probably, yeah. But if it still has problems, life begins to suck.

10. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

From what I have heard on these forums, the 17 inch models are running relatively cool compared to the 15 inch models, and most have reported no whine, with a small exception reporting a small and barely noticeable one.

11. EricChunky macrumors regular