Can we talk about Migration Assistant? (specifically moving from PPC->Intel)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by somevelvet, Jan 12, 2007.

1. somevelvet macrumors member

So after months of deliberating I've finally ordered a new MacBook Pro to replace my trusty but increasingly creak PB 12" (I'll be sad to see you go, old pal). As I have approximately 1 billion emails, gigs of documents and photos and music and stuff (not to mention everything in the keychain... etc... etc...) it seems to me that Migration Assistant is made for me.

However, I've heard rumblings about problems using the ol' MA. Specifically moving from Power PC to Intel... incompatible apps... etc... etc... What should I know? Should I just move my account and Docs and not my apps? Would that transfer all the Mail stuff I need? Can I cherry-pick the apps I want to bring with me? Is there anything else I need to know?

Help me MacRumors, you're my only hope!

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

With out knowing to much, i.e. don't do anything until someone else posts.

I would see now problem in using migration assistant, other wise Apple would of not included Migration Assistant with Intel Macs. Besides if an Application is not universal it will run under rosetta, in which case you can re-download the newer version.

But like I said wait for someone with better knowledge, I don't won't to stuff your new computer up :)

Edit: http://superjared.com/entry/upgrading-intel-mac-dont-use-migration-assistant/

Maybe it would be best to start a new. Just copy your main files over, like mail messages, tunes, photos, etc.

3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Worked fine moving from my PowerBook to my Intel iMac. You will need to make sure you update any apps that haven't already been updated to Universal versions, but you can do that even before you do the transfer.

I'm planning to get a Macbook within the next 6 months, and will be doing the same transfer from PowerBook->MacBook (still use the PowerBook very heavily, in fact am on it now).

4. somevelvet thread starter macrumors member

Thanks DeSnousa. Don't worry, the computer probably won't be here for at least a week, so I'm not going to do anything drastic yet!

5. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

That's great, to clarify for somevelvet have you noticed any slowdowns like the ones experienced by the user in the link I provided above.

6. somevelvet thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that's exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about... although I wonder if that's just one guy's random glitch. Surely many many people have used MA across architectures.

7. meldl macrumors newbie

I moved from my iBook to my new MacBook using Migration Assistant only a couple of weeks ago.
    I'm about as low tech as you can get, and it went off without a hitch. I mean not one problem. I actually couldn't believe how easy it was because I always manage to find problems even where there are none! ;)
    I haven't had any issues with speed or responsiveness.

I know of someone who chose the other option and moved some things across and not others just to see how it would go, and he found the whole process very lengthy and problematic.

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

No, I haven't experienced any slowdowns. Really everything just works like it should.

9. somevelvet thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone tell me if I can cherry-pick the apps I want to move over? I kind of want to start over with Firefox as I put some bad extensions on it I haven't been able to shake.

10. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

The one piece of advice I've seen is don't have any PPC-only screensavers active. I'd really like to see some benchmarks as well as what's getting started up differently though, as I feel my Macbook is fast, but not blazing. Perhaps I'll do some backups and a reinstall in a month or so when I get time.

11. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

You don't have to copy the applications if you want, then you can manually copy the ones you want over. Migration Assistant itself doesn't give you that much control though.

12. somevelvet thread starter macrumors member

If I choose not to copy my apps will it still copy all my messages and stuff from Mail?

13. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

It should, but if it doesn't all you need to do is have your Macs networked and within Mail you can import from the file menu > import mail boxes. Then highlight "Mail for Mac OSX".

It will then ask you to locate the folder of Mail, this is located in your user library and called "Mail". If you can't network your Mac, make and external copy of this folder (i.e. DVD, usb Hardrive, etc) and than follow the import mail boxes steps and when asked to import the folder find the external copy you made.

Mate, really don't worry, if something goes wrong I'm sure it will only be minor and their are plenty of people on these forums with plenty of knowledge to help you out. Also is something really badly goes wrong, though I'm sure it won't, you can just reinstall OSX and start from strach.

Good luck, and enjoy your new Mac :)