Can xcode be used as php IDE?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by baddj, Oct 17, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Hello,

I want to know can i use xcode to code my php application?

If yes how do i set it up? will also want to use the svn client in xcode.

2. macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

In the sense that it can edit text, yes. It has no PHP support itself though.

3. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

You would probably be interested in Coda by Panic.

4. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

5. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Aptana looks interesting and I'm gonna give it a try. I'd probably argue that Dreamweaver has never been particularly good at PHP or really almost anything ;) but I'm sure others would disagree.

6. Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

While Aptana looked more specific, I found NetBeans to be much more stable and capable. Aptana would run very sluggish, especially after opening 4+ documents. Personally I chose not to use a IDE for PHP development because all of the options were bloated. I use BBEdit for all my coding.

7. macrumors 6502

If we talk about text editors for PHP: try TextWrangler or MacVim, both are available as free software.

8. macrumors newbie

ddelmonte

Look at Espresso, and PHPStorm

I use Coda myself, but there is some frustration that Panic are slow to respond with updates. We are all waiting on v.2.

Meanwhile, these other two options are not bad: Espresso and PHPStorm.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

I was just thinking as Xcode has svn client in it plus its free and comes on the OSX disk.

I tried coda but found its svn client is very unstable try moving or deleting a file -.-

I know my code so i do not need them tips and stuff.

10. macrumors 6502a

Menge

If all you need is syntax highlighting and a nice way to view project files, then yes! Also, the text-completion will complete text previously used (not based on actual language, just repeated words).

I use it. It's free and I don't have to move away from the interface that I'm used to when I code for the iPhone.

11. macrumors 68020

Cabbit

I use Xcode for a IDE most of the time but it does struggle sometimes with php's syntax.

For instance it treats everything after the following line as a comment.
    PHP:
    $formAttributes .= "<p>".ucwords($data[0]).": <br /><?php echo Form::".$feildtype."(array('type' => 'text''name' => '".strtolower($data[0])."''value' => Form::formValue(\"".strtolower($data[0])."\")));?></p>".$lineBreak;
    There are however some plugins that can tailor xcode to work better with php.
    http://www.obdev.at/products/xcode-odphptools/index.html is a good little example.