Can you activate a 3G iPad without a sim?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by GeoffP, Apr 30, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

Question to help out us Australians who are importing the 3G iPad.

As we will not have the Micro-Sim available until the end of the month (hopefully), can you activate the 3G iPad minus the Micro-Sim?

Thanks,
    Geoff.

2. macrumors 65816

antiprotest

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, at home yes, but that is not my question.

I want to find out if I need a sim inserted into the iPad on the 3G model when I activate it using iTunes.

As we cannot get any micro-sims to probably the end of May, I want to activate the iPad and use it with WiFi now and THEN drop in a micro-sim when I get a plan later in the month.

4. macrumors Core

alphaod

Basically an iPad 3G without the SIM is the same as a iPad WiFi only.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, not having played with any iPad, do you need to activate the WiFi model with iTunes prior to syncing applications.

6. macrumors 65816

Yes. The screen displays the connect to iTunes image when you first turn it on.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that :p

8. macrumors member

Thanks Geoff for answering that question.

Has anyone had success from cutting their sim card into the micro-sim and getting it to work flawlessly?

9. macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes it works; someone already did that. All they had to do was change the APN from broadband to phone.

10. macrumors newbie

I'm also an aussie importing the 3G model.

I'm simply cutting down a pre-paid Telstra SIM to put into my iPad. There are a number of people who have already proven that you can take a regular SIM card and cut it down to the shape of micro sim. See http://modmyi.com/forums/ipad-news/708414-mod-t-sim-work-ipad-3g.html

I bought a Telstra SIM card really meant for a USB stick to get the best Telstra mobile data pricing :) $40 for 1 gig, $50 for 2 gig (for US folk, that is actually not a bad deal in Australian terms).

I basically refuse to put my iPad on any other 3G network in Australia - Optus and Vodafone are too oversubscribed / too slow.