Can you add a iPad 3G plan to an existing AT&T Wireless acct?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by duelingdragons, Apr 23, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

My gf and I have a shared plan (both have iPhones).. can I simply add the 3G iPad package to that account?

Would be easier to just have everything in one place.

2. macrumors 65816

ijen0311

No... it's separate.

3. macrumors 601

jaw04005

Unfortunately, no.

I feel the same way. My business actually pays my wireless bill, and I wanted to tack it on to that. But, no it’s pre-paid only.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

Lame.

5. macrumors 6502a

There is absolutely no point in doing that. The 3G iPad is prepaid so it will not coincide with your post paid account. You can turn the 3G service on and off whenever you want.

6. macrumors 601

jaw04005

No point, huh?

1) Corporate/business reasons (as I mentioned above), not everyone has access to a company credit card or gets reimbursed for charges on a personal one

2) Convenience

3) Pre-paid vs. revolving account

Once the 3G gets launched, AT&T will do something. You can’t target corporate customers (like sales reps.) if the iPad 3G data plan can’t be attached to a corporate account.

7. macrumors 601

goobot

the price is already half would it should be. how about they give you the 60 dollar price then let you use you 5% discount?

8. macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

My take is that it is because it is not a traditional "account" that you will pay after usage. You are paying up-front with either a credit card or a debit card. This allows them to sell the 3G to anyone regardless of their credit history. As long as they have a way to pay they can use the service. I'm curious to know if you'll even see a statement at the end of the cycle--you may not. Instead you may get an e-mailed receipt at the time of purchasing each month and that's it.

9. macrumors 6502

How does this post make any sense relative to what was originally posted?

no one's asking for a DISCOUNT.

They're saying the corporate account = company paid
    If personal account = many company won't pay

it's not the 5% discount people care about.

10. macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

I kinda like that it is going to be separate, because if it were part of my regular account I may forget to turn off the service or to change to another plan.

For business use, there is no reason a corporate credit card could not be used. If someone doesn't have one and has to use a personal card and then ask for reimbursement I can see how someone with a company-paid cell phone would not like it, but it is not a cell-phone. Do not business travelers have to claim reimbursement on wifi-charges in hotels and airports? How is it any different?

11. macrumors regular

There hasn't been any discussion of corporate pricing or corporate plans for iPad 3G data. I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T doesn't make something available. I suspect it will depend on them getting a few inquiries from corporate customers before they figure out that a pre-paid plan doesn't work in that situation.

12. macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

I don't think they're intending on targeting business customers. Even so, it may make more sense in other situations where a business customer can actually use the service if needed because their company doesn't want to pay for it.

13. macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

You have heard of expense reports, haven't you?

And don't give me some excuse why they won't reimburse you because that's just retarded.

If it's still a problem, just pay the stupid $15-30.

14. macrumors 65816

It takes time to be reimbursed. It requires more paperwork to be reimbursed. It can be a hassle to be reimbursed.

Adding the 3G iPad to a corporate at&t account will be possible at some point. I highly doubt they will force all users to be prepaid when businesses will want to add them to their accounts.

15. macrumors regular

Yes, but the account # will be different.

16. macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Can you call AT&T and ask them?

17. macrumors member

Bierp

You can, but the answer is definitely no. iPad is fully prepaid and will not attach to any existing billing.

Will this change someday? Who knows, but that's a for sure right now.

B

18. macrumors newbie

not completely true

We had two that arrived on my desk at work with 3G service activated on arrival, the cellular data area is not even accessible from the device.

19. macrumors 603

As you might expect, things have changed some in the eleven months since the previous posts on this thread. It can be helpful to check the posting date before replying.... :)

20. macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

That would be cool for a lot of people. But since they give you the option of month to month... yeah. They should give you the option for both though.

21. macrumors 6502a

I think with the new plans they let you right?

Since it's pre-paid and post-paid.

22. macrumors regular

No they still don't allow it. I actually just called yesterday and asked.. What a bummer :(

23. macrumors member

The postpaid plan allows it. I added my new plan to my existing account today.

24. macrumors 68040

djransom

Same here. Call CS and press the option for sales and they will take care of it for you.