Can you add foreign dictionaries to 'Dictionary'???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mherz, Jan 9, 2006.

1. mherz macrumors member

Hi

I am using the american version of OS X 10.4 and very frequently use the Dictionary software (not so much the dashboard util) with its dictionary and especially its Thesaurus function.

Is there any way of adding foreign language dictionaries and thesauruses as I frequently write in German or French?

Also: Does anybody know of a good tool for german-english or french-english dictionaries, which are NOT online access dependent. I often write while travelling on train or plane, or when I am not connected.

Any suggestions??
    thanx
    M Herz

2. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

thats a really good question. I write in French alot for school and would love it if OSX could have a french dictionary function.

3. wala macrumors member

All your defult dictionaries are found in the directory /Library/Dictionaries. They are DICT format files. These are packages written in XML.
    I'm sure there are commercial entities out there who specialize in dictionaries (or there will be very soon), but I have yet to find one.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Yeah. I too would like suggestions on this (although for Russian). There's got to be something out there.