Can you be a student to get edu discount...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by whw5, May 22, 2004.

1. whw5 macrumors regular

I am a student in 9th grade and I am getting the new 15in PB. Can I get the educational discount or do I have to be in colledge? Non of my family are teachers or anything.

2. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Yup.

3. MacMan314 macrumors newbie

Ummmm.... no?

Who is Eligible To Purchase
    The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States
    School Board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members
    PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers
    Qualified homeschools
    Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool

:mad: I'm in ninth grade too, looking for a new compter. This pisses me off...

4. JasonL macrumors regular

Ninth graders aren't eligible. Buy a refurb if you want to save some money. I figure if you get one now it should last you up until when you go to college, at which point you can use your educational discount on a new computer.

5. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

well I have got the money I was just hoping to save some. I am not going to get a refurb because I want the newest revision. I have worked my ass of for the past two years to get this comp. Its going to be perfect.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Sometimes if you order online, they won't ask for any ID for your purchase. I think Apple is making a big mistake by not offering K-12 students the discount, so go ahead and try it.

7. JasonL macrumors regular

Um, worth a shot I guess. I wasn't asked to show ID, but I did have to click on the 'Agree' button at the end of all the edu discount terms. I'm not much of a fibber though.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Have a teacher buy one for you to get the discount - if you trust the teach with your cashola.

9. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Bleh, that's BS. If you're in school, you should be entitled to the education discount. If they want to check your ID, just tell them you're homeschooled. Choke on that Apple.

10. theimacguy macrumors regular

theimacguy

Say wha?

I'm in 7th grade and got an Educational discount on my iMac and iPod mini :)

11. zach007 macrumors member

either lie, or don't lie. They don't check, or didn't check me at least, but I qualify for the discount. It just comes down to wether or not you have any morals.. :rolleyes: but to tell the truth, even if I didn't qualify, I'd still get the discount ;)

12. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Until the next revision comes out. :D

The reason they have the education discount is to help educators and college students who Apple hopes will use macs at home and want them at their school. This IS THE reason Apple started the program in the first place. Not to subsidize a high school kids purchase or anyone else for that matter. Same with gov't program. I know it sucks for the HS kid, but I guess that is life...iLife that is.

The other reason that one could justify the discount is that they all have very large bills to pay and often times could not afford as much if they didn't get the discount. As far as home schoolers go, the parents that homeschool are educators as well, just not trained usually.

Problem with asking a teacher is they can't buy one themselves for a school year if they buy you one...just remember to tell the teacher this if they do buy it for you...they can only buy a limited number each year of certain kinds of computers and extras.

You said perfect...Apple has one revision old powerbooks, etc. unopened on the special deals page at the top...save some cash (especially when in just three or four months the "current" rev. will be "old".) It says in red which ones are refurb. and which are unopened.

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i'd watch out. I ordered iLife and a 15GB iPod earlier this year. and They called me up and asked me to send in a copy of my ID. So they do random checks. I've also heard of people who coudl not verify their student status and got a bill for the non discounted part. Plus keep in mind that everyone who is eligible for this discount is over 18 for the most part so they are paying for the computer whereas I would assume your parents are buying the computer and your giving them the money.

14. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

Just my luck!!! One of my teachers lives right down the street from me!!!!
    Arn't I lucky. I am going to save muchos dolares

15. JasonL macrumors regular

Well, let us know if your teacher has scruples or not. Good luck.

16. wide macrumors 6502a

Go for it--just use the student discount

I used the student discount when buying Panther and I would have when I bought my iPod mini but apparently they don't give out student discounts in the SoHo store. I'm in high school too, and Apple doesn't seem to care. If I couldn't use the student discount I would have to save up for an extra year to buy my computer (dec04/jan05 pbook g5). If Apple called you and asked for an I.D. for authorization, I'm sure your school would give you a slip or something...especially if you bribe them. ;)

I don't think Apple would bother making it so easy to get a student discount if they cared about it at all. Just by typing in my zipcode, about a dozen schools show up on their list. I could pick any one of those that I want!

17. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

good luck with your shady deal. I don't see how your high school could give you a slip saying your a college student tho? or a faculty member? You should just hope that when you legitimately qualify for the discount they still offer it. Sure your gonna say its just one person but what if 1,000 people think the same way you do? Also be aware that most of the time, especially when you go in for a computer, to the physical apple store, they will ask you for an I.D. so I hope your not planning to order from the online store. Also if you have to save up an extra year for the discount maybe you can't afford the computer...

18. wide macrumors 6502a

I'm sure they do...and that's Apple's problem. They make money no matter what...even with the Educational Discount they make a hefty sum from the sale.

Yeah...that was exaggeration. I would go for a cheaper computer if I couldn't afford it by then.

19. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

theres the conflict. I would much rather work on the honor system and have an extra $50 off the computer, than have apple say hey, since we need to implement a checking system due to abuses of the system we can only offer a smaller discount and then because of higher costs to them it would drive down their ability to give a significant discount.

20. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

You could . . . .

Go to your nearest Apple store, try to buy the computer at the educational price, hand them your student card . . . and hope they take it. If not, plead ignorance and cancel the sale. You'll still have the online option and also the possibility of trying to get a teacher to buy it for you if that doesn't work out. I have no idea what the stores are like where you are, but at my local reseller, no one has ever asked to see a student card (although it is located on campus)

21. cjc343 macrumors 6502

22. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

not quite, someone already brought that up in a thread and its not a per school basis, it seems like pretty much every school they know about is represented in that list

23. cjc343 macrumors 6502

Ah, ok... forgot about that part....

Make your mom teach you a few things... you are now a homeschooler.

24. jhomayne macrumors regular

erm.. i was just wondering what the average edu discount is? (uk here)

cos i dunno whether to wait till uni or just get an ibook now..

cheers :)

25. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

There's this website called Apple.com, and there's this link called Education after you click on the Store tab... oh nm. It varies between different products. Use the method mentioned and put a US college zip code to find out.