can you believe this? another school shooting!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clevin, Oct 2, 2006.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

in PA
    's breaking news, no report yet, what happened?
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15105327/

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I can't believe it! Another one? :eek:

It just makes me sick to my stomach.

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I think we're supposed to think:

"If it can happen at an Amish school, it can happen in my town."

Only so much can be done about this on the local level. So I wonder when someone in Washington is going to realize we have a national problem that has the long term potential to emerge as a national crisis?

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

This has been all over CNN until just now (commercial break). Was this an outsider who did this or someone in the community there? I don't know much about how things are structured there but I was under the impression that the Amish lived apart from everyone else in their own communities and whatnot.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this proves that there are a lot of issues with our nation's schools.

tragic.

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Was this a public school? I'm in the same boat as CorvusCamenarum -- I don't really know much about how the Amish do things, but I would guess that this was more or less a private school.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

doesn't matter if it was public or private, in my opinion.
    there are issues in ALL of schools in this country, many of which are not addressed.

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

What I did catch as I was just getting in was the commentator saying that the Amish school is outside the regular school system. At least six are dead so far, perhaps as many as ten.

I have CNN on in the background - the shooter's first name was Roy, and supposedly he ordered the boys out before opening fire, first on the remaining children, then himself.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Amish Schoolhouse Shooting in PA

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,217073,00.html

NICKEL MINES, Pa. — Six people were killed by a gunman at a one-room Amish schoolhouse in Lancaster County Monday, according to the county coroner.

Earlier, state police Cpl. Ralph Striebig said "there are a number of people dead. ... The exact number I do not know yet."

The police told FOX News that it was in fact a hostage situation and that the shooter is now killed. There were at least 12 people injured, along with the deaths, police said. Not motive is yet known.

There is a news conference scheduled at the school sometime before 1 p.m. ET.

The school is in Paradise Township on Mine Road, in Bart — an Amish community within the township. There are a total of 27 students in Wolf Rock School, where the shooting took place.

The Lancaster County 911 Web site reported that dozens of emergency units were dispatched to a "medical emergency" at 10:45 a.m. Monday.

About three-dozen Amish people congregated near the scene. Television news helicopters also showed a person being taken away on a stretcher to a waiting medical helicopter.

Officials at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center confirmed that victims were being admitted there. A spokeswoman said the hospital anticipated treating more than one patient, but did not know how many.

10. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Now the question is, how long before people start blaming GTA3?

Tragic problem. But there's a lot more finger pointing than working to solve the problem.

11. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

That's about an hour from me. In fact, I see Amish peoples walking to class almost every day. They are minding their own business... if they want to live differently without the amenities we all have, then so be it. I'm sick of people killing innocent people because they are different from you.

Sad... I mean that's like what... 3 shootings in the past week? And then I saw today that a person had a gun at a Las Vegas school? Wtf? :confused:

12. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There needs to be strict gun control in this country. There is no issue with schools, its just that people here are retards. When something 'catches' on, every psycho wants to imitate it.

There was the California freeway shooting incidents, now school ones.. it will go on. Its so bloody easy to walk into a store and buy a handgun for $300-$400.. its absolutely ridiculous. Oh, and all you gun-defending folks can take your argument elsewhere.. you will realize your folly when a loved one falls victim to this senseless violence.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oy... Let's not let this turn into another guns-are-bad / no-they're-not thread.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes, gun control does need to be improved, in my opinion, buts not for this thread really.

this is about why so many feel the need to invade and attack schools.

15. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Gun ownership isn't the problem, it's the gun culture in the U.S. Switzerland has a huge firearm ownership rate, but very few gun crimes.

16. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

The killer wrote a note to his family describing this as vengeance for an incident 20 years ago. Curious.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

An incident that had nothing to do with the Amish either.

18. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

This actually is becoming more of a problem in Switzerland as well, with many people calling for the guns to be removed to a central storage facility controlled by the government, or for the ammunition to be stored separately. Gun violence is on the rise there as well. It's just not reported in the US very much.

Here's a link

19. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Exactly. Why pick on the pacifists?

20. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

What was the incident that happened 20 years ago anyway.

21. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Because it's an easy way to spread fear and make everyone feel a bit more vulnerable.

Or because they're convenient.

My best guesses.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Cowardice.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Heh... over at Americablog, Aravosis snarks of the school shooter: "I understand Denny Hastert has called the shooter an overly friendly gunowner."

24. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I'm with mac. Gun control and such should be for another thread. But note that until 1934 your friendly mailman would deliver a machine gun to your door, and until 1968 that was still true for non-full-auto firearms. Where were the school shootings back then? My own K-12 was from 1937 to 1951, and SFAIK, that sort of thing didn't happen. Didn't happen in or around Austin, Texas, anyway.

Seems like a given that it's cultural, somehow, but "gun culture" has zilch to do with it unless you want to bring in movies and computer games that are said to glorify violence as a way to settle personal problems--which I'm not saying I believe.

Damfino. Maybe "conflict resolution" ought to be a K-12 course of study.

'Rat

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sure would be nice, but conservatives keep gutting school funding, and taking what funding is left and mandating more tests. Plus then you get into the touchy area of whether it's OK to be gay or not.