Can you believe this? (Virgin iPod)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daveway, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Which comedic genius at Virgin thought this up? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

3. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

4. dotnina macrumors 6502a

No prob ... I have a feeling Virgin might be taking it down soon. :)

I know it's supposed to be funny, but it seems kinda juvenile to have a real, legitimate company doing this. It just seems like they're trying too hard at humor.

5. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Perhaps.

Think of it as a compliment for the iPod - the only apple they could favourably compare their player with was a vegetable.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think it's as nice as the iPod (nothing is), but seriously, many of these iPod competitors have made a decent mp3 player that's easy to use. If it's much cheaper than an iPod, then great. Personally, I don't mind competition. And since Virgin own their own stores already, it would be easy to incorporate their player with their online and physical stores somehow. :)

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I find it mildly funny and if anything its saying that the Virgin player can't compete with Apple's iPod so it's comparing itself to an apple instead. ;)

8. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

If they end up having any success with allowing people to purchase music on the device itself, I wonder if Apple will incorporate the same in the iPods.

9. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

not scolding....but....an apple is a fruit

10. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I think the point was that the Virgin model was a vegetable.

And for those who are surprised at Virgin's cheap tackiness .... http://www.headcup.com/odd/l/31.html ...

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

oh, on seeing the title I thought this thread was about a 1st gen iPod that had never been used. Now that would have been a shocker! But a cheap rip-off from Virgin? That's almost to be expected. What I do find interesting is that we've started using 'iPod' as a generic name for mp3 player. That's very, very good for Apple. I haven't seen others do it yet, but if your thread is any indication of the future, then Apple is sitting pretty on top of a multibillion dollar brand name.

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i also thought this would be about some iPod that had never been used. :p

a funny thing to have on your site though. i didnt' even know there was a Virgin electronics?

i wouldn't call it so much a rip-off, it looks the same as most similar devices that have come before it.

13. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Sorry, call me macho or whatever, but I'd rather have a product from a company called "Apple" over something from "Virgin".

14. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I don't think it looks that bad, plus when they start selling it in the Virgin Megastores, they have a captured market. I wonder if Virgin Megastores will carry on selling the iPod and keep those massive apple banners they have up inside the store.. hmmm :p

15. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

If only that thing was about the size of a compact flash card... it would be pretty cool.

If only that thing was made by apple and had a 30ft range, BT, and was used to control Airtunes.

Oh well.. I think it looks cool.

16. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Nah. They'll drop the Apple banners, replace them with ones for their own product line, run the iPod stocks dry with shelves full of empty boxes emblazened with "Current Model on Order" to force people to switch preferences, and then wonder why their Blakes 7 prop lookalike still isn't selling as well as the iPod.

17. mrsebastian macrumors 6502a

mrsebastian

another "ipod killer", but hold on a minute. as long as apple stays competitive and gives us a color screen soon, the ipod aint getting defeated. why you might ask, how could i possibly say such a thing?! does anyone recall a brand named nike? their sneakers were not the best, insanely expensive, but everyone and there mother had to have them (ask my parents back in the day). yes there were plenty of other shoe companies out there that sold cheaper and even quality sneakers, but they did not have the swoosh!... a decade or two later, the same thing is happening with the ipod... for that matter the same thing happened with the walkman, there slowly came plenty of competition, but the walkman always stood on top of the pile.

so i say nay to the "ipod killers" out there.

18. cubist macrumors 68020

Plus it's $249 for 5GB, and it's not as small as the iPod Mini, it's about the same size as the regular iPod. Does have a radio built-in, but that's the only advantage.