Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maiku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2001
I want to upgrade my ATI rage pro.
Does any body know if you can even buy a video card with the Apple Display Connector? As far as I know, you can't. The ATI Raedon retail edtion dosen't come with the ADC. What about nVidia? Can you get one from Apple?

How do I connect my new Apple flat pannel to a new video card without some funky adapter? Kinda defeats the purpose of the ADC....huh?

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
UK
I've had a quick hunt on the ATi and Nvidia sites, and I can't find a retail board that uses ADC. I don't think Apple sell single cards they are part of the BTO.

Does seem strange that you have to fork out for an adaptor as well...

Maybe some pressure needs to put on Nvidia and ATi....
But is there a large enough market to warrant the cost?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
As far as I was able to determine, ADC connections are only on cards from Apple. If you want to use an ADC monitor, then go to Dr.Bot and get their converter. It plugs into a power supply (provided), one USB port and the DVI connection on your video card. The item runs under $150 and allows you to use new Apple screens on older DVI cards.

The item is called the DVIator (http://www.drbott.com/prod/DVIator.html#Anchor-49575).

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
DVIator

Does the DVIator actually process anything? Or is it simply a box that takes the DVI input and puts it, along with power (and, possibly, USB) into an ADC connector?

I was under the impression that the ADC video pins were simply DVI with a different pinout.

EyeMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2002
It is the same size card as the rage pro that was in the cube when he bought it. It is slightly smaller than a fill size card and doesn't have the lip on the mounting bracket. It's got a heck of a heatsink on it as well. The url I posted has both cube and powermac agp replacement cards.

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
video cards

i remember a few months back, when apple put GeForce 2's in their towers. Then the GeForce 3 came out and apple started to sell of their website with the ADC connector, the also sold ATI Radeon's with an ADC connector, I remember because I wanted one of the LCDs, but I am waiting for a G5 (however long that may be).

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: DVIator

Originally posted by eric_n_dfw
Does the DVIator actually process anything? Or is it simply a box that takes the DVI input and puts it, along with power (and, possibly, USB) into an ADC connector?

I was under the impression that the ADC video pins were simply DVI with a different pinout.

Apple's ADC connection provides more then just the video signal, it also provides power to the screen. The DVIator takes the DVI signal from your card, adds power, and provides the USB feed that the new ADC monitor uses.

If a simple pin placement converter could work, I think more companies would be making those.

There is a cheaper converter that goes the other direction. It takes the ADC connection from your new Mac and converts it into the DVI that exists on many LCD, and some CRT monitors.

Personally, if I was to get one of Apple's new LCD screens, I would want the single connection to it that the ADC allows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.