Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kailaroxy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, so please let me know if it's not. I just bought a 1st gen 5 gig ipod for a good price, and was planning on reselling it on Ebay. I was browsing around, though, and found that someone was selling a 1st gen 5 gb ipod that had been formatted to windows. Can anyone tell me how I would go about doing that?

Thanks for your help.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
The original G1 iPods are not Windows compatible.

So, either that person is full of it, or they might've literally formatted the iPod's hard drive to work with Windows as a hard drive (it wouldn't work as an iPod).

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
There is software that lets you use a mac ipod on windows, even the first gen. But as for formating it for windows, I don't think so. I believe the chip that is responsible for doing all the ospart of the ipod only works in mac formating, hence why you need the extra software.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
try to make your iPod a drive (iTunes does that for you) then use fdisk to remove the mac partition than reformat it as Fat32... I think that will work (except when indeed your iPod is Mac-Only but i doubt that...) if it's not working, well hook it onto a mac and do a restore with the iPod firmwareutil...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.