Can you change the password on a .dmg?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by emw, Feb 24, 2005.

1. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    So I've created a password protected .dmg file. Fanastic. Can I now change the password, or do I have to create an entirely new image with a different password and copy my stuff over?

I like to occasionally update my passwords, but can't see any way to do this on a .dmg. Am I missing something?

2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2003
    if you store it in keychain you might be able to change it in there, but unknown to me
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Cannot find any such choices in Disk Utility, so I'm afraid you'll have to make a new encrypted image, with the new password, then transfer the files and delete the old image... not to much of a hassle, but a change password would be nicer... ;)
  4. LimitedEdition macrumors member

Jan 14, 2005
    The password is not just for entry in to the disk - it is used to encrypt each and every byte of the data on it. That's why it's not so easy to change.

They could still have a change password function, but for big DMGs it would be really slow and users would think something was wrong and make silly support calls which is why they probably left it out. :)
  5. emw thread starter macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Pretty much what I thought. Thanks everybody - just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.