Can you click on something using the trackpad?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nuks, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Nuks macrumors 6502a

I know on pc laptops you can do this (ie double clicking the trackpad on an app to open it), but can you do it on a mac? or do you need to hit the button? It doesn't matter for me either way, as I'm using a mighty mouse, but just for interests sake.

2. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Yes you can, but it's not set to do so as default, so you have to enable it through system prefs. :)

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Trackpad

Clicking options are there.

4. tvguru macrumors 6502

I get a kick out of my PC buddies. This is always the first thing they try to do, click with just the pad. I let them try a few times and laugh at the look on their face. :p This usually follows with a "damn Mac" out of their mouths, but works the opposite way: when I use theirs, it usually clicks when I just want to move an inch. So I give them a "damn Windows". :rolleyes:

P.S.
    Did I use the colon right? I doubt I did.:eek:

5. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

^Haha, I agree. I tried to do it right away, and when I brought it over to show my girlfriend (she has a toshiba), that's what she tried to do. But to be honest with you, I don't know if I like it that much. I'm used to the mouse button, and then two finger + button for right clicks. It's almost easier.

Anyway, thanks.

6. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

yeah i dont like using it...i always accidentally hit it. but i got a BT mighty mouse not too long ago so i dont even have to think about that anymore :)

7. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, yeah I actually got ordered one with my macbook and got it a week before the macbook arrived. I had used my gf's trackpad, never liked it as much as a mouse, and decided to get the bt mightymouse. Once you get used to them, trackpads aren't ALL that bad, but I still love my mouse.

8. tvguru macrumors 6502

My Mighty Mouse is plugged in as I type but I still use my track pad for the most part. The mouse is over there and my hands are already right here.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Double-clicking with the trackpad has been there since 1998 and the Wallstreet PowerBooks and while it worked, it wasn't something I used every day. It's a good idea, though, if your button ever decided to die.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I know my 1400 does (1996) and my 190cs did (1995) have trackpad clicking.

Apple actually developed the modern trackpad, where you drag your finger to move the mouse, rather than having the trackpad literally represent the screen. The PowerBook 500 series was the first laptop ever with such a device.