Can you cluster for games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mus0r, Apr 21, 2005.

1. mus0r macrumors regular

Mar 27, 2005
    Just curious....I may be coming across a second hand eMac and I've heard that Dauger Research's Pooch is a good app for clustering. I also do audio; would it work for that too/either?
  2. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Sep 14, 2003
    I'm pretty sure you have to rewrite and recompile applications (including games) to distribute tasks in a cluster. Sorry.
  3. Sol macrumors 68000

Jan 14, 2003
    Game developers do not bother optimising their games dual-processors and they care less for clusters.
  4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Clustering works best on non-interactive tasks like compiling large amounts of code or rendering scenes. This is because you send the job to a remote machine it processes it and sends it back. So in the case of compiling with 2 computers you compile half the files on each machine then link them on one.

Games do not really work like this and the latency of transferring data over the network would kill it. If you are doing real-time audio a cluster will not help, but if you are applying a lot of effects to multiple channels you may be able to use a cluster to reduce final output times.

Tiger has xGrid for clustering built in so you may see more of Apples pro apps take advantage of this. XCode can already offload compiling tasks around the network.