Can you color code a file type globally?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Maynerd, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Maynerd macrumors regular

Still getting used to the Mac OS. Noticed there is a color coding for individual files. Is there a way to say tell the OS that any avi file should be colored red?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Interesting question, but no, I don't believe there is.

Assuming you've got 10.4 you could, however, easily build an Automator script that finds .avi files in the selection and labels them a specific color. You'd need to run files or folders through it to get the labeling done, but it wouldn't be that hard, and you could even attach it to your download folder or some such to get it done automatically.

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You are in Applescript / Automator territory here, which will give you a whole new level of things to learn about. As an easier alternative you could make a folder for all of your avi files and color code the folder. I find color coding loses its utility if you use it too often.

4. Maynerd thread starter macrumors regular

Well it's starting to sound too difficult :) I do ask why you say color coding loses its utility if you use it too often. I haven't used it yet and perhaps my idea differs from the way you use it? How is the feature supposed to be used to maximize its effectivness?

5. hopejr macrumors 6502

I think your idea is fine, as long as a folder doesn't have avi's only :p. Then they won't stand out, which is the purpose of colour coding.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Generally I keep all my applications in the Applications folder and all my documents in Documents. I have a few subfolders in each to group things like Utilities or business related documents. By color coding only a few things my eye spots them quickly, even in a long list. If everything was color coded this would no only be impossible it would be a little dizzying.

My guess is that, if you need to bulk color code, things are already out of hand. It is a personal preference, however, and you can search by color so it may work for you. Give it a try. Best wishes.

7. Maynerd thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm..perhaps I just need to organize my computer better. :) Any tips on where to go to get some help? hehe sounds dumb but I don't know the best way to organize my computer and files!

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Here is my way, which I suspect is a minority opinion. Keep all of you Documents in the Documents folder and all you app.s in the Applications folder. Remove everything from the Dock you don't use everyday (which may only leave you with Finder, Browser, Mail and Garbage). Now drag your Applications and Documents folders to the Dock. I like my Dock on the side, without hiding or magnification but reduced in size. You can now easily open either folder. If you click and hold on a folder in the Dock you will get a list of what is in it (complete with submenus). You will now be able to quickly see what is running, switch between applications or quit applications.

Many people here like 3rd Party organization programs. The Mac is more customizable than most non-Mac people think. Play around, have fun, and see what you like. That is the Mac way. Best wishes.

9. neyoung macrumors member

Neat idea, I think I'm going to have to give this a shot. I didn't realize you could drag folders onto the dock.

10. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Also, don't forget that you can quickly access applications and documents that you use frequently from Apple Menu > Recent Items and that the number of recent items retained is configurable in Apple Menu > System Preferences > Appearance. Best wishes.

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

One more organizational thought. If there is a folder you use a lot, for example I have a Business folder in my Documents folder, drag it to the sidebar of your Documents window. It will now show in the sidebar of every window and in all of your Save dialog boxes. You will be able to get to it easily from anywhere and you can drag things to the sidebar icon as well. Hope this helps.

12. Maynerd thread starter macrumors regular