Can you connect wireless LAN without access point?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ChrisH3677, Dec 11, 2003.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

I doubt this is possible, but was wondering if there was any way to connect two computers wirelessly using Airport but without having an Airport Access Point?

Surely there's some clever software out there that can make it happen?

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

In general, you can, but I don't know if OS X allows you to configure it. This is referred to as "ad-hoc" mode, as opposed to "infrastructure mode". Ad-hoc mode is limited to 2 systems.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

um, airport equipped macs (and any other 802.11b/g) can ad-hoc as much as they want, as far as i know.

my understanding is that airport hubs are simply for connecting to an internet connection, more readily than internet sharing.

remember, base stations for these networks are nothing but 802.11b/g cards with different antennas on them.

pnw

4. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cooool!!! :D Thanks guys!

hey and so does that mean that I could set up my desktop (prob an eMac) with internet and then share it from my Powerbook anywhere in my house?! :)

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes.

Under the Airport Menu, You can select "Create Network". Then in the network panel of System Preferences, you can select to share internet connection over any of your connections (sans modem) and that includes AirPort.

TEG

6. sjcaguy macrumors regular

how do you make the ad-hoc network happen?
    my laptop will arrive tomorrow (fedex says so, and it's an overnight shipment) and i need to transfer a ton of stuff from my pc/windows machine to my new mac. if i can network them wirelessly that will be even easier.

thanks!

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just exactly as I described above, if you need a walk through, PM me.