can you convince me not to ditch Lion for Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by vix2000, Aug 1, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Nov 27, 2010
    I am having to type this on my trusty old asus as my macbook air has the infuriating exclaimation mark in the wi fi meter. These are my major issues since installing Lion.

In Lion my wifi appears to be off more than on. I have tried every fix on the internet to no avail. I should not be having to do this or reset my router every time my machine wakes on a piece of kit that cost over a grand 7 months ago.

I have no acess to my linkstation.

My battery life is rubbish

I continually get the spinning wheel.

How long should I put up with this on a new laptop???????????????????
  2. macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    As long as you feel like it. Make your own decision.
  3. macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    Wait til 7.1 before you give up. Personally, I left Apple-land for Windows after 10.6.7, and haven't looked back.. It's not a bad place.
  4. macrumors 68030

Jul 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    what would anyone here gain from that? Use win 7 if you want. Who cares?
  5. macrumors member

Jul 16, 2011
    I don't see why people are "leaving" an OS for another. I mainly use OS X, but I have Windows 7 Bootcamped for the rare programs i need that are only on windows. It's been a fact that .0 releases are buggy, the same goes for Windows releases. The only difference is that Microsoft sends out patches almost with no delay as where Apple just saves it for a bigger release like a .1 update.
  6. macrumors 65816

Nov 17, 2010
    Came in this thread to say basically the same thing haha.
  7. macrumors 6502

Oct 12, 2010
    Go with 7
  8. macrumors 6502a

Dec 6, 2009
    If this is a brand new Mac with Lion pre-installed, then you do not have a Snow Leopard disk I take it. In which case I would simply return the computer, ask for a refund and tell Apple their OS stinks, they need to know how bad this is for some customers...

Now, if you have Snow Leopard around, install it, update it to 10.6.8 and fully enjoy what a good Mac OSX is like.
  9. macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2004
    my battery life is garbage as well. pure garbage. machine is running hot too, presumably the battery.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jul 5, 2011

Do you think we're all such rabid fanboy idiots that somebody threatening to leave the OSX club will guarantee pleas of "Don't go!".

Not everyone here is 12 years old.

Another "who cares" vote from me.
  11. macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I agree with Steve's Barber.... Sorry you're having issues. I wouldn't blame you if you want to go back to Windows. It happens.

Make your decision and be happy with it. That's all you can do. :D
  12. macrumors 68000

Aug 26, 2010
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Nope, dont care...bye. I guess we will see you at the Windows 8 release.
  13. macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

Nov 13, 2008
  14. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Oct 14, 2010
    you seem well suited for an Asus with W7 ... be happy
  15. macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2009
    1. Reset SMC, NVRAM
    2. Clean Install Lion
    3. Bring your Air into a Apple store

Apple has wonderful customer service, they will take care of you.
  16. Macshroomer, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011

macrumors 6502a

Dec 6, 2009
    A lot better reply than the poster above's garbage. Everyone has had very different experiences updating to Lion, which means there is a ton of variation in hardware, software, usage, etc.

Some have had it smooth sailing, other people have had nightmare experiences on pro level machines with 20TB worth of storage like me.
  17. tom5304, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011

macrumors regular

May 7, 2005
    Anyway, I also had nothing but problems with Lion, and I eventually went back Snow Leopard, which is running fine for me.

Lion's Wifi is broken (for me), my first Lion install was laggy and slow (for me), and I actually use Front Row a lot on my iMac, and Front Row is gone in Lion.

After this experience, I'd have no problem at all making my next computer purchase a Windows 7 PC. From what little I've played around with Windows 7 on the PCs of friends and family, it's every bit as stable and useable as OSX.

And when you consider the very substantial Apple premium, Windows 7 is probably where I'll head when my mid-2007 Aluminum iMac needs to be replaced. The Apple premium is based on "It Just Works," but after installing Lion I can tell you that this particular Apple item does not just work. But hey, with Snow Leopard running really well, that replacement date appears to be out there in the future. I see no point in going back to Lion, though.

So yeah, if Windows 7 makes sense for you, I'd say go for it and have no regrets. After my negative experience with Lion, the bloom is definitely off the Apple at this point. :eek:
  18. macrumors 68040

Apr 22, 2005
    Your logic is flawed. Laptops get hot when the CPU is being utilized more than normal. Using the CPU more uses more battery. Hence, your battery life is worse because the CPU is being used more.
  19. macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2009
    Personally, I haven't encountered any issues with WiFi connectivity.

If you want to ditch OS X, go ahead, it will not benefit us in any way. I dual-boot Mac OS X and Windows 7 and love them equally.
  20. macrumors 65816

Oct 25, 2008
    Snow Leopard was a bit buggy when it was released and it also took 3rd party developers time to update their software to fully work with it. The same is going to happen with Lion.

What you lose by going to Win7 is integration with the hardware. I've yet to see any PC laptop with as good a trackpad as Macs or great support for gestures. Battery life will also be worse in Windows as its power management isn't as efficient.

For software, what you'll miss is consistency. Most OSX programs follow UI design guidelines and look and feel native. Windows programs are a mess of XP, Vista and Win7 plus custom UIs when it comes to visuals and usability. Keyboard shortcut consistency is terrible.

That doesn't mean you can't live with it. I use Win7 on my desktop PC. I also have a Hackintosh on it but since my motherboard won't support sleep on it I prefer to use Win7. I can get the same things done in either OS but overall I would prefer using OSX. Both have their quirks for sure but as an overall experience I prefer OSX.

OP should really take his or her machine to an Apple Store for a lookup if the suggested NVRAM/PRAM resets or repairing file permissions don't fix the issues. Lion has worked perfectly on my mid-2009 MBP so far so it sounds more like something is wrong with the machine itself.
  21. macrumors regular

May 7, 2005
    Thank you, kasakka, for an over intelligent response, even if we don't come to the same conclusion.

But as far as saying it sounds like something is wrong with the machine itself, that can't be completely true.

If Lion isn't working for the OP, and it isn't working for me, but it is working for you, and it is working for many others, what that tells us is that Lion isn't working on certain machines. Almost certainly a minority of machines.

Still, that tells us that there's something wrong with Lion, in that it can't work right on a certain percentage of Macs. If the percentage was something like .03% of machines, that might be acceptable.

But I've been scouring the internet to solve the problems that Lion brought to my computer, and the percentage of bad Lion installs has to go much higher than that. The buzz is starting to build that Lion is a buggy mess.
  22. macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2010
  23. macrumors 6502a

Dec 6, 2009
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Personally, I would never use Windows, after decades of use of Mac OS, I will just use OSX 10.6.8, no big deal.....once I get a new drive, finish my restore, etc, etc...

Being an early adopter is always a crap shoot, no one can argue different. Most of the time, they are at least a little buggy on my systems, but this one has been near disastrous teaching me one hell of a hard lesson.

For just $29, I have cost my self about $2,000 in man hours and productivity. Never again will I early adopt, I might even skip 10.7 altogether for how utterly horrible this has been.

If you have had a great experience with your early adoption of this newborn OS, good for you, not all of us have and you should get off of your web born high horses and respect that...
  24. macrumors regular

May 7, 2005
    Thank you for saying that. Some of these folks try to make us feel guilty somehow because Lion has screwed up our computers. SORRY! I wish Lion didn't break my Wifi, but it did.
  25. macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2011
    Lincoln, UK
    While I'm not going to leave spiteful comments like a few above here, I don't think this a question other people can answer, end of the day, it's your decision.

I'd send in your mac to the Apple Store first and let them take a look at some of the issues you stated.

Then, have a few days playing solely on each. Which was easier to work/ play on? Then you have your answer.