Can you cook?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Royal Pineapple, Aug 31, 2002.

?

How well can you cook?

1. Poorly, people usually end up sick

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. Moderatly, i can cook a full meal

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
  3. Expertally, i can prepare a feast

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i was cooking today and i realised that the only things i can make are scrambled eggs and salad, i can microwave too but that dosnt count.
    so how many aof youare good cooks?

2. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

for some stuff, ok, for others stuff, pretty good
    when i make pizza, i dont get tired of it, unlike pizza hut/dominos pizza lol...

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I am the master quesadilla maker. Not that those are hard to make at all or anything, but I am good at making them. I can make a lot of stuff though: pizza, sandwiches, jaffles, spaghetti, pasta, macaroni, smoothies, and a lot of other stuff. None of the involves a microwave, due to the fact that I dont own one :D.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm lucky enough to be able to make just about anything, including a mess.

My adoptive mum had always involved me in helping her with Christmas baking and candy making as well as cooking as far back to when I was 6.

Her mum was constantly busy in the kitchen as well and I had learnt a great many things anytime I was there and there was poor weather.

I also worked in a variety of fast food places and restaurants.

Trouble is, I like to eat too.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I had the great fortune to live with a gourmet chef for over a year - I learned more about how to make great food in that time then I could have imagined. I love to cook, and if I ever get the chance, love having people over for dinner.

I think the most I've ever cooked for personally was 12 - but I did have a hand in setting up a sit down dinner party for 20+ with my housemate - it was great.

And I love to grill - alphatech and I have had a few conversational threads on food and recipes in the past - too bad he's on hiatus.

D

6. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I guess I can cook moderatley. I don't cook much but I can whip up a meal. There are a few dishes I can make that are excellent.

7. vniow macrumors G4

I cook a decent burger on my George Foreman grill, but not much else besides whatever I have for lunch in the toaster oven. Other than that, I'm a terrible cook. I always overcook . Yesterday I overcooked a serving of calamari which I've been waiting to arrive in the store for months, and I was pissed. I had some nice escargo though. Definately interesting, especially with marinara sauce. Mmmm....squid and snail..mmmm...Oh, and sushi are the Gods gift to humankind :cool:

8. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I don't know why, but I always was eager to watch my mom cook when I was a little kid. Anyways, I have become a pretty good cook, and I can make a one great meal, including salad, soup, etc. You know, a full meal. But I wouldn't go on and call it a feast. So I guess I'm a moderate cook.

Not bad for my age, I guess. Most of my friends don't even know how to make scambled egg. :rolleyes:

irmongoose

10. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Nein!!!!!

'Nuff said!!!

Put it this way, if I cook, you will see half of Nevada annihilated !!!:eek: :eek: ;)

11. iGav macrumors G3

yep..... I can cook...... :) I'll have a ago at throwing pretty much anything together... cos' I'm very creative like that you see.......

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i've learned a few decent things from my mom... chili, spaghetti, etc.

also just made some baked burritos last night that were quite popular amongst the eaters...

so that's cool

gonna be doing more cooking this year so we'll see how it goes. i said moderate.

13. spinner macrumors regular

What exactly are jaffles?!? :confused: Or did you mean waffles.

I cook pretty good, but I am WAY better at making desserts, though. My wife is the main cook in the household. Once in a while I get crazy and make something to suppress the cravings of my sweet tooth. :D

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm glad you asked about the jaffles. I would have done it, but I thought that I'd be accused of being mean. :)

15. Macette macrumors 6502

i don't know if jaffles are waffles. what's a waffle? :D

a jaffle (in australia, anyway) is like a toasted sandwich. you can make it in a 'jaffle iron' in the fire, or in an electric sandwich maker.

i thought waffles were sweet? i don't think i've ever made a sweet jaffle..

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I cannot do a lot of things...am learning more as I go along from my mom & dad at various times...

but I can do a pretty good gourmet pizza...wheat crust...deelish ;) :D

17. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I used to be addicted to "Great Chefs, Great Cities" on Discovery. That was before FoodTV really got big. It got so bad that I spent a semester skipping my integral calc class at college just so I could watch it. I got my worst grade in college in that class....

Anyway, I learned a lot from that show and later from other shows inspired by it. My interest in cooking grew and I started experimenting with my own dishes and recipies. I'm pretty good at finding the best fresh ingredients at the market and creating a meal out of it.

And when I cook, I like to go all out. I find it to be a very calming process and have been known to spend a whole day cooking for my friends or a woman. I love the mixing of flavors and the experimentation. Its almost like a mad scientist crossed with an artist type process; you mix and match, taste and try and at the end of the day you get to share your work with people.

Good stuff.

Taft

18. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Speaking of which...

We are right in the middle of gaspacho season. Vegetables are at their fullest in flavor and are the freshest you can get. I think I've found a project for next weekend.

Time to hit the farmers market...

Taft

19. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

IRON CHEF.

its funny how they translate.

ummm yeah very good.

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Kross, going on a posting binge there, eh? Doing a bit of the necromantic thread resurrecting too.

Iron Chef is hysterical, though. Love the show, been to the Morimoto's restaurant in NYC - Nobu - the best, bar none, asian/sushi I've ever had. The new style sashimi was incredible. If you ever make it to a city that's got one (LA, Vegas, Tokyo, NYC, South Beach, London, Paris), make reservations and go. And try things on the menu that you wouldn't normally eat - its all friggin awesome.

D