Can You Delete Norton FS Files in Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mileslong, Sep 27, 2005.

1. mileslong macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    i did a sweep of my HD and wanted to delet some of the bigger files that i dont use to free up additional space. i noticed that there are four files associated with norton.

norton fs data 808 kb
    norton fs index 4.0 kb
    norton fs volume 137.8 mb
    norton fs volume 2 137.5 mb

it appears that is has something to do with filesaver. is this program necessary? does tiger come with it? will it harm my system to delete these files?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...those are indeed Norton Filesaver you still use Norton? If not, then delete the fs files....if you are still using Filesaver, then leave them. I think just about everybody here would agreee though than using Norton stuff under OS X is asking for trouble.....oh yeah!
  3. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    thanks duff,

i despise anything norton with a passion. their products are bloated and it takes an act of god to remove all of their files on your system. if you have ever tried to get anything accomplished through their customer service department you know what a treat that it, its an experience i would recommend to anyone i really hate.

out of my system norton!
  4. mankar macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2008
    Remove Norton FS Volume

Hi Mileslong,

I was wondering if you were able to delete those annoying files Norton left on your mac? Please let me know how you did it.

5. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2007
    Amen, Norton has given me grey hairs (I was 13) when I was in the Windows world. Free virus protection in the Windows world is usually better than that Norton piece of crap.

Worse thing is that there are deals out there that are giving away Norton Internet Security for the PC for free (after rebates haha). As much as I hate Windows, I still have sympathy for the users who install Norton on their PCs.