Can you detach 15" PB screen and use as standalone?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wilmor42, Jun 18, 2005.

1. wilmor42 macrumors regular

wilmor42

hello, i have a dead dead, not even worth trying to fix
    15" powerbook ti.. is it possible to detatch the screen and solder a Vga connector to it in any way and connect it to a mac mini? im going to uni and it would be handy to have as a screen rather than lug my 20" everywhere..
    it must be possible, someone please help!

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i would just sell it on ebay for parts - i couldnt bring myself to look at just the screen knowing i'd ripped the base out of it :(

3. wilmor42 thread starter macrumors regular

wilmor42

yeah well i could live with it, its a 667 and its slow for what i need, and i want to detach the screen, decision has been made, i just wanted a guiding hand and some help if available..

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

LikeTom might be on the right track. You could sell the computer for parts and probably get enough money to just buy a 15" LCD to go with your mini. That seems far easier to me then ripping off the screen and trying to wire it up yourself.

5. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

But you guys are missing the point. For me, I'd love to rip something like that apart and make it work again in a different way. Question is, are you handy or not when it comes to stuff like that?

6. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Can't do it. Not saying impossible, but ... well yes impossible. Laptop LCDs use a completely different communication type than anything a desktop can use. Not to mention powering it. Don't bother trying. Sell it as parts, you'll get some good money with it.