Can you drag files from the Mac partition to the Windows partition?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by johnbro23, Apr 10, 2006.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

And visa versa?

Or do you have to burn a CD every time you want to transfer data?

2. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

If you set up the Windows partition as FAT, you should be able to access it from within OSX. On the other hand, Windows can't read the OSX partition without some additional tools (which were mentioned in this forum but I totally forgot the whereabouts of :eek: ).

3. HenryB macrumors newbie

Hi mate,

I just got an iMac (first Mac) and also installed windows - too much legacy software - even tough I seem to have not used it since I instaled it as I do really prefer OSX... But, I did format my Windows partition as NFTS and I can access it through OSX but not vice versa.

4. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

If you format NTFS then you can read from the drive in OS X but you won't be able to write to it.

5. zenvision macrumors regular

so basically, its best to format as FAT 32?

I thought it was called FAT 32 because it couldn't handle file sizes over 32 gig, not partition sizes over 32 gig....I guess I thought wrong!

6. sreedy macrumors 6502a

I think it's called that as it's 32bit. I think Max file size is 4GB and max volume size is 8TB!

7. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

You are right about the sizes. However, MS gimped the installer to not permit FAT to be selected for drives bigger than 32GB. Why? It's because they wanted to push everyone away from the old FAT format and onto the NTFS format.

You CAN install a FAT partition of any size you want (up to 8TB) if you format the partition BEFORE you run the Windows installer. If Windows installer starts up and sees an existing formatted FAT partition it will let you install straight onto it regardless of its size.

You'd have to use some utility boot CD to do the format and then it should work with any size.

8. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

I believe that would be MacDrive you are thinking about.

9. Whiteapple macrumors regular

Whiteapple

i redirect you to one of my earlier posts (bottom of page)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=192270

this method works really well, no problem in both ways (osx xp and xp osx)

good luck

and for the 32GB limit, all I can say is...too bad. Nevertheless, you could do a 10GB xp partition like me, and then install your programs on the OSX partition that will be recognized after installing macdrive. It works, and i cant say it's slower than on the "local drive" in xp.

10. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I just formated my exteral HD (120 GB) within OS X so that i can transfer files between my OSX and XP hard drives. You should format it via MS-DOS file system in disk utility.

11. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Oh yes. That's what I was thinking about. Infact, I think about it every spare second. Oh yes. ;)