Can you emulate Mac OS 7.5.x on Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaw04005, Nov 13, 2004.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Is there a native Mac OS X program that will allow you to emulate older versions of the Mac OS such as 7.0-8.0?

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

If this is one, I'd try it, out of curiosity if nothing else. I never used a Mac before OS X.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

There are some older programs that run far better in a native System 7 emulator. OS 8 allowed you to emulate older programs. Trying to run an System 7 native program in Classic actually requires two emulators-- one is Classic mode and the other the one that allows you to run 608040 and previous code.

Basilisk II is an emulator that allows you to run Systems 6 or 7 on your Mac. It is a port from another operating system, but it works fine. You do need a ROM from a Mac of that era, to allow it to start up. There is a windows version at the main Basilisk II page.

It is also much more fun to run System 7.5.5 on WinXP... runs faster than anything Apple could have thought of during that time, thanks to an Athlon 2500+ over here!

4. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Thanks for the suggestion. Took me awhile to find a Quadra ROM, but I got 7.5.3 up and running. Now if I only could find some place to download old software.

5. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

In my digital media course, I am required to write a research paper on technology that has contributed to modern journalism. I'm going to try to showcase the changes from early Mac OS to X from a print media perspective... hopefully. Big assignment, worth 1/4 of my semester grade. I thought it would helpful to actually use some builds of the early Mac OS instead of just using information from the Internet.

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Use this link: Linkety

You know what to do...

I would recommend the 7.5.5 updater from Apple, it is free and is generally nicer to play with. Heck you could run both...

Look at older System versions too, and how they allowed WYSIWYG typing, printing, etc.