Can you figure out this cartoon?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mac-er, Oct 2, 2005.

1. mac-er macrumors 65816

Maybe I am dense...but I really don't get what is supposed to be funny about this cartoon. :confused:

Any ideas?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

It is suggesting that Bill and Karen (people on the right) have a daughter whose is a bad driver. This is apparent from the looks on their faces and their hair.

The title of this thread reminded me of a Seinfeld episode.

3. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

Why would Bill and Karen be surprised that their daughter is old enough to drive? Wouldn't they already know this?

I guess this is supposed to be one of those simple things that when I think of deeper and deeper...makes less and less sense. Or maybe, its just not funny. Or maybe I'm a moron.
    :eek:

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It was so funny that I forgot to laugh.

I find a lot of comics not funny. Garfield is one of them. I'm sorry, but we get it.....you are fat and lazyyyy!

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

The expression on their face is probably because their daughter is a piss poor driver and they were scared when she drove. Your thinking way to much for this comic :)

jon

6. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

The cartoonist's email address is closetohome@mac.com.

Maybe I should write and get him to join in this thread. Or maybe he is already on the forum and will flame me. :D

7. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

I get it now.....their faces were like that because they had just gotten out of the car with their daughter.

Thanks Jon. You so smart. :D

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Only Dilbert is laugh out loud funny. Especially if you've been exposed to corporate life.

Yahoo! Comics used to have star ratings. It's been removed, I guess comic artists complained.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

FoxTrot sometimes is good, but dilbert is more reliable, this makes me want to go read the Far Side comics that i used to love.

10. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

you might like this then ;)

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The funniest comics were Bloom County and Calvin and Hobbes. At least they were ended while they were still good. Marmeduke and Dennis the Menace should have been dropped in the 60's and Garfield in the mid 80's. Dilbert is still somewhat funny but not as good as the first two or three collections. Hopefully Scott Adams will end the comic with dignity.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And Ziggy...I hate that little turd. :mad: :mad: :mad:

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ah yes, Ziggy.

My first stuffed toy was a Ziggy, and i still have him, so he does have sentimental value.

I still read the comics section, and there are a few that still make me laugh. :)

Garfield isn't one of them. :mad:

14. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Heh, that's the first thing I thought of too (but that one was a New Yorker cartoon). The explanation that other folks have come up with (that the daughter must be a bad driver) is, I guess, as good as any, but this is just a really weird comic strip.

Side note: In one of Gary Larson's "Far Side" collections, he tells what I assume is a true story about how one newspaper ran "Dennis the Menace" and his "The Far Side" next to each other on the funny pages. One day the newspaper accidentally switched the captions for the two panels. As Larson described it, the new (transplanted) caption for "Dennis the Menace" was even funnier than the original one that Hank Ketcham had written. ;)

15. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Judging by his other comics, this guy is trying to be Gary Larson. Gary ought to cock punch him for that.

I like Non Sequitur, and Get Fuzzy myself. Especially when Darb makes fun of Garfield.

16. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ooh yeah i like Get Fuzzy too, it has had some great moments. :D

18. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

Family Circus has to be one of the all-time worst comics.

19. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

ive never been in corporate life, but dilbert is about the only comic that makes me laugh

20. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Same. But maybe that's just because I happen to be watching a Seinfeld marathon right now.