Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MAcNIAC

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Ok so my MBP arrived DOA, and I'm waiting for a new one to be delivered. I had to wait for my dead MBP to reach apple before they would order me a new one, then wait for it to be bult (CTO -160g HDD), then wait for shipping.

I realise all electronic appliances have a % that arrive DOA. I dont want to get into that - that's what the C2D MBP QC thread is about.

What I want to know is, do I have any chance of getting apple to sweeten the deal for me? (they have after all delivered me a faulty computer and wasted a lot of my time).

Has anyone had any success getting

priority shipping?
an upgrade of any sort?
anything thrown in to the deal at all?

what if my next one is also DOA or has "issues"?

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Not sure if they would give you compensation (in terms of say an upgrade) for your troubles. :eek:

Although, you do deserve priority shipping in my opinion. :)

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think you've probably got a decent chance of getting priority shipping if you call and explain the situation. Other than that though, I wouldn't really get my hopes up too high. You could always try, if it's bothering you that much, I guess.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I think you've probably got a decent chance of getting priority shipping if you call and explain the situation. Other than that though, I wouldn't really get my hopes up too high. You could always try, if it's bothering you that much, I guess.

Good idea, calling up and asking them nicely for priority shipping may yield some positive results MAcNIAC. :)

MAcNIAC

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Of course you can get something.

Just tell them that you really want to remain a satisfied customer and to that end you would appreciate a gesture of will offered in good faith to compensate for the frustration and time you've lost.

Just say it exactly like that. Apple is generous.

nicely put, I've been told that my new MBP has just shipped out of china, and that I can expect delivery by next Tuesday (21st) - though they cant give me a tracking number. seems a little sus to me.

If my MBP isnt in my hands on Tues I'll ring them Wed, and give that a try.

.... and no aristobrat - i'm not an ex american ... are you suggesting that wanting compensation is an americanism?

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Just tell them that you really want to remain a satisfied customer and to that end you would appreciate a gesture of will offered in good faith to compensate for the frustration and time you've lost.

PERFECT!!! this exact phrase should be "stickified."

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2006
/private/var/root
Ok so my MBP arrived DOA, and I'm waiting for a new one to be delivered. I had to wait for my dead MBP to reach apple before they would order me a new one, then wait for it to be bult (CTO -160g HDD), then wait for shipping.

I realise all electronic appliances have a % that arrive DOA. I dont want to get into that - that's what the C2D MBP QC thread is about.

What I want to know is, do I have any chance of getting apple to sweeten the deal for me? (they have after all delivered me a faulty computer and wasted a lot of my time).

priority shipping?
an upgrade of any sort?

Ive had many problems with my MB(RSS,Chippng and cracking, Buzzing noises) if you get mad enough, they might send to you to a PR(Personal Relations) and they offered me 150 dollars off of anything i want from the apple store if i send mine in for reparis(PR have the authority to do it) So be nice but be very firm....
But i havent sent mine in yet......
The RSS update fixed the RSS but i have the cosmetic issues......

prady16

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Right There --->
I recently got the new C2D MBP from Apple retail store, but it came with a faulty iSight camera. I went to the store once again after a couple of days and they promptly replaced my notebook with a new one. Then i exchanged emails thrice with Apple customer service, and they gave me a $50 gift card for apple online purchases. Yes, I am from Amercia!

You deserve much more for the trouble you had to go through!

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003

priority shipping?
an upgrade of any sort?

No doubt about it -- you need to contact customer relations and get more than "upgraded shipping." At the very least, a credit or coupon code, or more. I've had similar experiences with this and have gotten, over the years, in no particular order -- free 20GB iPod, free brenthaven backpack, free ilife upgrade, coupon codes, and more. That's just a reflection not just of Apple's generosity and appeasement but of their degenerating QC.

Get CR on the phone and make your requests known.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.