Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
iTunes won't let me upgrade to ios7. I called Apple Tech and they just tell me to upgrade.

I've got 2 of these G4 iPT and JB one won't be a problem (I hope).

But, I was hoping to find a way to do this without JB.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
iTunes won't let me upgrade to ios7. I called Apple Tech and they just tell me to upgrade.

I've got 2 of these G4 iPT and JB one won't be a problem (I hope).

But, I was hoping to find a way to do this without JB.

You cannot install iOS 7 on 4th generation iPod touches. A jailbreak will not change that.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
You can't, there was no iOS 7 built for an iPod Touch 4th gen. Unless you can somehow get the source code or reprogram iOS from scratch, then you're not going anywhere. :rolleyes:

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Thanks for the info.
What sucks is that some apps require iOS7. I wanted to use Square (CC processing POS). I guess I'll have to use another product to process payments.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks for the info.
What sucks is that some apps require iOS7. I wanted to use Square (CC processing POS). I guess I'll have to use another product to process payments.

If it's within your means, consider grabbing a refurbished iPod touch 5th generation. They don't seem to have any of the models with a rear camera available refurbished right now, if that matters, but keep checking the Refurbished section periodically to see if any pop up.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
If it's within your means, consider grabbing a refurbished iPod touch 5th generation. They don't seem to have any of the models with a rear camera available refurbished right now, if that matters, but keep checking the Refurbished section periodically to see if any pop up.

Wow, I didn't even realize Apple made the iPT without the rear camera. That does make it cheaper, but I have to be concerned with a 2 year old device running A5 and how long it'll be usable. Although that's about 1/2 the price I paid for my iPT4, it's still only $50 cheaper than a new one with the camera and not far from the Mini2 when it's on sale.

Apple doesn't seem to adjust the price much for something that's clearly behind the tech curve.

Thanks for the link!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.